Speaker repair or replacement

Gwalsh

Feb 1, 2024
L6W3C6
Hi all,
I am new to the group, I have recently acquired a clairtone 7980 and have started the restoration process, with that said, I have noticed that the tweeters have torn or cracked cones. I was wondering if this is repairable or has someone come up with a replacement tweeter to use? Thanks for help with this issue.

Attachments

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
These are piezo tweeters . they are a common size and could be replaced with a non piezo tweeter.
You could put a bead of glue on the cracks until there filled and just keep using the original tweeters.

Reactions: Gwalsh

Gwalsh

Feb 1, 2024
L6W3C6
Thanks Floyd for the info. I am hoping someone has done a full speaker replacement in the Toronto area and could give me info on where to buy the replacements

Gwalsh

Feb 1, 2024
L6W3C6
Thanks for the info, if I found tweeters with no resistance like the original one I wouldn't need to mod with different resistors?

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Piezos actually have a ton of resistance, around 1MΩ. No crossover capacitor necessary. They are already capacitive loads, unlike traditional speakers, which are inductive loads. I wouldn't bother using piezos, they sound like trash and have a shelf life. If you do get the ones at that link (or any small traditional speaker) I would use a 2.2µF bipolar electrolytic cap, or polypropylene, rated for at least 50V.

Gwalsh

Feb 1, 2024
L6W3C6
Hey caution, would it be safe to say that all the tweeters in these boxes are past their life span and should be replaced?

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Well, if it ain't broke don't fix it, but from my own experience, most piezos in the boxes I own have died and need replacement. Unfortunately it's not always that simple because of the space allotted for them. For example, the Discolite piezo tweeters are jammed into a very tight spot along the bottom and pretty much require replacement piezos.

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
Hey caution, would it be safe to say that all the tweeters in these boxes are past their life span and should be replaced?
Piezo tweeters are efficient with power. The trade off is sound quality.
Piezo get loud but the sound can raspy and distorted when pushed hard.