Sony CFD-5 cassette deck problem

Arbusto67

Member (SA)
Jan 2, 2023
Italy
Hi guys and Happy Easter everyone! I recently acquired a Sony CFD-5 for not big money because the seller (italian guy, like me) stated that both CD player and cassette deck were not working; once turned on I briefly cleaned the CD player lens, tried an original CD and the unit is actually working! However I'm having problems with the cassette deck because after having replaced all of the 3 belts (not easy...) the deck is only working in reverse mode: if you try and play the cassette in forward mode the right reel does not spin, so the autostop function engages, while in reverse mode all is working as it should, including the 180° heads rotation. I suspect that an idler gear does not move correctly on its lever and does not engage the right reel but this mechanism is as complicated as a perpetual calendar mechanical watch and taking it apart almost completely in order to try and understand what's going on scares me a bit... Have some of you guys an idea on how to solve this problem, possibly without stripping the whole unit completely? Many thanks!

Arbusto67

Member (SA)
Jan 2, 2023
Italy
Well, I spoke too soon, now even the CD player is not working correctly, it starts playing and it eventually makes a whirring noise and stops, I think I have to dig deeper into this boombox...

Superduper

Member (SA)
The CD probably needs a belt. The noise you mention might be the belts slipping.

If the CFD-5's deck is anything like the CFS-9000 and has autoreverse, then it probably has this stupid gear under the head assembly, that rotates the heads depending on Forward or Reverse modes. Most of these gears have gotten brittle and split now so it no longer rotates properly on the shaft. Looks like this: cfs-9000 autoreverse head rotation gear

Arbusto67

Member (SA)
Jan 2, 2023
Italy
Hi Superduper and thank you for your reply, I checked the service manual and I don't seem to notice a belt in the CD mechanism, I didn't have the time to dismantle the unit and take a look yet. Yes, the cassette deck is autoreverse and, from what I have understood, it is essentially identical to the one in the CFS 9000, otherwise the head block rotation seems to work properly.I will investigate further when I'll open the unit again.