Sharp WF-T380H No power on tape

Kees010NL

Sep 24, 2023
Netherlands
Goodafternoon!

Recently i bought a minty Sharp WF-T380H ghettoblaster. When I first turned it on all seemed to work, but the tape wouldn’t move. So must be bad belts I thought. Well, opened it up and saw there was a loose and dried out flat capstan belt. Since i couldn’t find the exact replacement online, i ordered a flat belt kit. For now i put in a normal square belt, just to see if it all works. Well.. pressing play resulted in quite good sound, however the power and surround light were not lighting up al that stable. After i pressed stop and play again it wouldn’t power up. Do it a few times and it powered up. However if I put it on radio mode, or aux, everything works fine and the tape moves too. But when on tape it doesn’t. I also tried cleaning the function selector.. the mechanism, and the plugs that go on the mainboard.. but no luck.. should I maybe replace the caps on the power section? Or all of them.. or might there be a loose connection. I’ve had this problem with all Sharp X-Bass Surround ghettoblasters.. And this one I at least wish to have working haha.

Hope somebody has an idea!

Greatings from Holland!!

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
It sounds like the function switch has bad internal contacts. This can happen when its used as just radio for years leaving the tape contacts open circuit and can corrode. I have fixed a few of these by sweating the switch off the PCB and pulling the switch apart and clean the tiny internal slide contacts.

neanderthal

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2016
Function switch probably has dry joints or bad contacts as stated.

I have the same problem with mine (WFT 380 as well.) I can jiggle and adjust the function switch until I get sound out of both speakers.

Superduper

Member (SA)
On most boomboxes, radio and aux rely on the function selector switch to receive power. Yours functions fine on radio & tape so the function selector isn't likely the issue. In fact, when on Tape mode, the function selector typically cuts out power to the amp. How the boombox acquires power during Tape mode is that the tape switch generally turns on not only the cassette motor but generally also activates and supplies power to the amplifier (so you can hear music). Therefore, by this logic, you should look into the tape switches. The fact that your amp performance (and power in general) is intermittent with the tape play button is sort of a hint.

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
Sounds like the leaf switch that engages the power to the deck when the main power switch is turned off.

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
There is some contradiction on OP description of the problem, maybe a combination of all.