Sharp VZ 2000 sliders

Huffers

Member (SA)
Apr 25, 2019
Billericay, Essex, UK
Hi all.
thought I would share these to get some feedback. I have been working to a 3D design for the VZ sliders. Being a perfectionist I have spent many hours tweaking the design and running test prints to try to get them as close as possible to the original. I even bought a new 4K resin printer as wanted to get the best detail possible. I then upgraded the said printer as wasn’t happy with the stock results. I have even purchased some airbrushes and compressor to finish them as ordinary spray paint will be too thick . By the time I finish, these will probably be the most expensive sliders ever, but must admit I am enjoying the process.
anyway I think I am getting pretty close to having a final printed version that I think is not too bad. The grooves are not quite as fine as the original, but I have played around with so many tests and this seems to be the optimal size. if I do them any finer you just don’t really see them. Anyway here is an unpainted sample along with the original. Would like to get your feedback on what you think.

Attachments

Reactions: Nickeccles

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
It's a type of printer that employs material jetting, and uses wax as a scaffold. The shop's info page for the material says Visijet M3 Crystal, which works with Projet MJP printers from 3D Systems.
Shapeways cut off the first page of the original datasheet so it may not be a 3600, possibly a 2500.
They also offer the Accura SLA resins, which are even clearer, stronger and crisper, but are still cost prohibitive.

Huffers

Member (SA)
Apr 25, 2019
Billericay, Essex, UK
Thanks Caution
Was also really interested in your clear plastic part, was that cnc machined from a sheet?

I have a phrozen sonic mini 4K resin printer that is fantastic for the price, really makes printing your own part accessible. It can print down to 35microns in the xy axis and 10 microns in the z axis. Although it’s a budget printer, so I did some upgrades to improve build quality.
These are great machines for home projects.
i can actually reproduce the same scale grooves as the original slider, but not convinced they will be as clear once painted. I attached some more pictures. I have also designed the door release as I have a broken one but I have not printed it yet.

Attachments

Pinball

May 20, 2023
UK
This is really interesting. I recently bought a VZ-2000 and had to open it up to put in new belts. As part of this I found that several sliders are broken, but I also have another problem. Not the sliders, but what the sliders slot into. Have you or could you 3D print some of these? I need at least 2 as previous owner superglued the broken sliders into them. I can't remove the plastic so need some new ones, as I can't plug in sliders. The slider plug itself slides onto the metal slider mechanism easily so could be replaced. Photos attached but let me know if you need any other info!

Attachments

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
If you can't get your plastic and glue out with a grinding bit then you could always ask here or these two ebayers (1, 2) for spares. Unlike the sliders they're not impossible to find, you just need patience. Printing requires an intact sample in-hand to model properly. Unfortunately that's not you or me. Even if I did, I only post to Shapeways (I don't own a printer). I gave away a design once and they sold their own prints, profiting off of me