Sharp GF8989 Cassette WON'T stop.

Mark1892

Member (SA)
Aug 21, 2018
Durham, UK
Hi all, been awhile since I've been on here as everything is running fine including my GF9292 which has fully test played nearly 300 cassettes over the last few months.

I do have a problem with a GF8989 I picked up a couple of years ago which seems to be working great except that when I press play and then stop, the mechanism stops slightly and then carrys on playing and the play button remains fully in.

This is all with no tape inserted as I don't want to risk getting one stuck or damaged.

It pauses correctly if I ask it too and also ffwd runs indefinetly. If I press rewind, it will do so for a few seconds then stops and carrys on playing. I am unable to open the door as play is constantly engaged.

I've dug it out to clean and service and change the belts so hopefully any issue will jump out at me during disassembly but a heads up would be appreciated.

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
Does it stay stopped if you hold the stop button down?
Maybe something simple like a missing or unattached spring.

Reactions: Mark1892

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
Just out of curiosity, does the motor stop running when holding the stop button down?

Mark1892

Member (SA)
Aug 21, 2018
Durham, UK
Stripped it down today, gave the case a bath and can see the play button is stuck in. I can't see any reason for it so may need to strip the mech down. Possibly a linkage has come out of position or moved and blocking the return

Attachments

Mark1892

Member (SA)
Aug 21, 2018
Durham, UK
That's an odd looking setup for the buttons.
Hopefully it turns out to be something easy.
The stop button partially releases it, just not fully. Must be some lever or gate not connected or not aligned properly. I don't really want to strip the mech if I can help it but it's looking that way.

Mark1892

Member (SA)
Aug 21, 2018
Durham, UK
There could be some friction due to old grease under the Head assembly.
Yep possibly, some slide or lever not moving and locking it in place. I'll need to dig out my glasses and have a go at stripping it down but I need a bright day and fresh eyes to do that kind of work nowadays lol

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
The stop button partially releases it, just not fully. Must be some lever or gate not connected or not aligned properly. I don't really want to strip the mech if I can help it but it's looking that way.
Take a good look at the mechanism when the stop button partially releases it. Identify the levers that are moving in the process and try to gently maximize the travel of it in both directions.
Basically, there is a play mode connecting lever section that locks in the play mode, and the stop button is not fully releasing it. I've been through many problems with the deck mechanism, and it is a pain to identify which part is causing the problem. As long as one doesn't use any excessive force or pry a lot, things will be fine. You will soon figure it out! Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark1892

Mark1892

Member (SA)
Aug 21, 2018
Durham, UK
Take a good look at the mechanism when the stop button partially releases it. Identify the levers that are moving in the process and try to gently maximize the travel of it in both directions.
Basically, there is a play mode connecting lever section that locks in the play mode, and the stop button is not fully releasing it. I've been through many problems with the deck mechanism, and it is a pain to identify which part is causing the problem. As long as one doesn't use any excessive force or pry a lot, things will be fine. You will soon figure it out! Good luck!
I've got some time this weekend to have a good look at the mech and strip it as much as I can, from first view there's not much visible.