Sharp Gf 515 tape deck 2 capstan always spinning

sxcexcsx

Feb 1, 2013
Dresden (Germany)
I bought a very nice 515. Almost mint optical condition. If I switch the system on, tape deck 2 "clicks" continously every 5 seconds. Sounds like the auto stop.
No matter if the selector switch is on "tape" "radio" or "phono". None of the tape control buttons is engaged. The tape heads are in down position. The supply and take up reel don't spin. But the capstan is always spinning.No matter if the cassette door ist open or closed. I can rewind and fast forward a cassette. In this case the auto stop works in both directions. After stopping, the capstan is still spinning and every 5 seconds I hear the click from the auto stop. If I Insert a cassette and press play, the take up reel don't spin but the capstan and the pinch roller does.
Any idea what's wrong?

I know this sounds confusing. But perhaps somebody can help me.

Thanks!

Wes125

Member (SA)
Aug 9, 2021
Uk
and u never taken a boombox apart before in your life

Last edited:

sxcexcsx

Feb 1, 2013
Dresden (Germany)
The rear housing is no problem. But I can't remove the front because the knob of the balance potentiometer can't be removed. Obviously someone glued it on the potentiometer axis. I don't want to break the knob nor the front. Any idea how to remove the knob?

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
The rear housing is no problem. But I can't remove the front because the knob of the balance potentiometer can't be removed. Obviously someone glued it on the potentiometer axis. I don't want to break the knob nor the front. Any idea how to remove the knob?
Wrap along piece of string around the shaft a couple of times and pull on the ends with your hands only.