Reproduction woofers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

envisionelec

Member (SA)
Jun 13, 2012
Dayton, OH USA
Is anybody making reproduction woofers for our boxes?

As you know, most of these boxes have 5", 6-1/8" and 8-1/16" (125, 155 and 205mm) woofers with the "pincushion" style frame. White coned woofers are almost impossible to find as are chrome colored mylar dust caps.

While I may not know how to make fake cassette labels, I do know how to get exact replica speakers made. :yes:

So...any interest?

Jboogie2384

Member (SA)
Sep 30, 2010
Queens, New York
Ok I'll bite. Do you have a connect or are you a supplier? Pictures of said merchandise? I need some 4" for my current score, a JVC PC-55. I'm interested. They're white. How about some 8's? Black for say like CONION's C100f both Korean and Japanese models? M90's? I have a small list so come with it. :popcorn: :popcorn:

envisionelec

Member (SA)
Jun 13, 2012
Dayton, OH USA
I'm just checking out what people are interested in.

My company specializes in sourcing and reproducing obsolete electronic items. We generally design hardware, but I have contacts in the loudspeaker manufacturing industry and thought you might be interested in a line of replacement speakers that match the originals.

Here are some examples. I don't have sample pics of the the 8" or white cone versions yet.

This is 4", 5" and 6" size. These can have any type of cone, not just those shown. I'm also in favor of cloth surrounds instead of foam or paper.

Jboogie2384

Member (SA)
Sep 30, 2010
Queens, New York
envisionelec said:
I'm just checking out what people are interested in.

My company specializes in sourcing and reproducing obsolete electronic items. We generally design hardware, but I have contacts in the loudspeaker manufacturing industry and thought you might be interested in a line of replacement speakers that match the originals.

Here are some examples. I don't have sample pics of the the 8" or white cone versions yet.

This is 4", 5" and 6" size. These can have any type of cone, not just those shown. I'm also in favor of cloth surrounds instead of foam or paper.

[ Image ]
[ Image ]
[ Image ]
I have 2 sets of the 6.5's. Bass machines, I'll give you that. They sound decent. Would it be possible to to post up sensitivity specs and possibly make them in lower wattage? Some of these radios only produce 7 watts rms to 25 watts peak. bigger chrome speaker caps would be nice in the looks department and rubber or cloth surrounds as you mentioned for durability. If there is a catalog for your products please feel free to eithe PM me a link or post one up. I have a lot of radio's that I'm trying to restore that could use a fresh pair of speakers in all kind of sizes. Thanks.

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida
envisionelec said:
=ml= said:
The RC-550 has a 10" woofer with a black dustcap. Got those‽ :hmmm:

[ Image ]

Go!

=ml=
Does a standard 10" frame fit?
10in frame has to be exact measurements for the 550 the original had a small magnet to be able to clear the radio board plus it cant be too deep same thing ,,,i was able to find 2 sony bookshelf speakers that worked :yes:

envisionelec

Member (SA)
Jun 13, 2012
Dayton, OH USA
Jboogie2384 said:
Would it be possible to to post up sensitivity specs and possibly make them in lower wattage? Some of these radios only produce 7 watts rms to 25 watts peak. bigger chrome speaker caps would be nice in the looks department and rubber or cloth surrounds as you mentioned for durability. If there is a catalog for your products please feel free to eithe PM me a link or post one up. I have a lot of radio's that I'm trying to restore that could use a fresh pair of speakers in all kind of sizes. Thanks.
This would be a custom order of speakers - I don't currently make them and don't have a catalog. I basically design and spec and then send out for quotes - then buy in quantities and sell to a distributor. They'd be optimized for efficiency and good sound quality. This is tricky because you don't want to lose efficiency to gain deeper bass. But a lot of these OEM speakers either have stiff suspensions or very limited excursion which makes them distort and 'fart' well before the amplifier does.

The process takes several months, so I wanted to tap your knowledge before getting in too deep. If you guys can come up with a list of the most requested speakers along with pictures and measurements - it would help me figure out what information to give the designers.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.