Repair of Lasonic TRC-931 function switch ?

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Hi,

Has anyone done a repair on this switch before ? Desoldered and repaired it ?

If so could you offer pictures or advice about it please ?

Many thanks.

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida
finding a good switch is the biggest problem the swapping of switch is really not that bad just your normal remove the front buttons and move the board back where you can get to the switch... :yes: :yes:

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Freddie - oldskool69 - has informed me that he has finally figured out a fix for those things. Hopefully, he'll see this thread when he next logs on and enlighten all of us with the details. :yes:

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Hey guys, I don't think the switch is totally shot but rather the little cog wheel that sits on the end of the pole might have had its days, not 100% sure.
I was a bit unsure about the desoldering though, I guess its straight forward, desolder the entire part to take it off. Once its off though I'm not sure how it is held together and if you can get at the bit you need to.
Ofcourse the gear part that attaches to the post needs to be disconnected too, unless you keep it attached and remove it with the switch... Not sure which is the best way of going about it.

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida
the gear part is one piece with the switch , most of what happens is there is a plastic arm inside that connects the small gear to the base of switch that is plastic ,once you turn the switch it moves the arm down on the plastic base ,, after all these years that little arm gets torn off and if its real bad even the plastic gear tears apart leaving the inside plastic base ,, i have seen the whole thing come apart even the outside metal casing ,, i have used the switch that the radio board has if it has the sw bands and it worked so that can be a possiblity of using that one because most people keep the radio in fm ,, but be advised it must be the long switch casing ,, if you try to use the am/fm only its too small.... :-)

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Superduper said:
docs said:
Hey guys, I don't think the switch is totally shot but rather the little cog wheel that sits on the end of the pole might have had its days...................
Which is, if I understand it, the thing that is issue on 99.999% of the broken lasonic switches.
Yes, The plastic gear gets dry rotted or something and cracks :thumbsdown:

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida

here is a pic of the switch exposed notice the head of screwdriver pointing at the broken gear its missing the bottom half there is a small metal ball which sits in there ,, i have a reson to belive after so much turning and the plastic becoming brittle it seperates in 2 which most of the ones i have changed has this problem,, notice the rest is ok on this one , i have seen the arm on those break as well ,, this one might be ok if i could find the complete gear but as we were saying basicly they are 99.99% messsed up.... :sadno:

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida
well after toying around with this switch i belive it might work even for a bit of time ,, i was able to place the half gear on,, and align the bar so that it moves it up and down ,, there are going to be some problems one would be when you pull it down the switch will move a bit pass the back which in any case i could glue a stopper ,, and forward would push it up ok except there is no ball to stop it except you would feel it come loose but in reality it only because the gear went out of track a bit but i tried it and turned it back and it worked so i think i can fix the other ones.. the important thing is to have a good chunk of the gear to go around the shaft and the arm from the switch to be intact and making sure the pins and bars inside the switch do not get bent so being careful and taking some time it possible to get it working the only one that might be a problem is the switch with 3 selections,, finding a way to stop the switch at its position will prove to be some work.. i guess with those shortcoming i might be able to bring the 931 back to life :-)