Philips D8614 cassette output problem

jason_jazz

Mar 30, 2023
Finland
I had to create a new thread because it is not possible to comment on the old but amazingly short one:

Having a D8614 and excactly this same issue I suppose there have been also others on the forum.

I feel that the biased effect diminishes on higher volumes but it is still easy to see the level difference of the channels from the led indicators. What's the next thing to try if just cleaning the tape head and the switches will not work? (Edit: ) Actually the same happens also via aux input so it may be an issue with something else than just tape heads. The FM radio sound is ok as far as I can hear. Weird...

Thanks.

Last edited:

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
Sounds like by process of elimination that the function switch was left on the radio position for sometime, maybe even years. This means that the contacts for other functions are open circuit and therefore exposed to the air so oxidization can occur. You can try the spray can fix may help but usually requires the switch to be removed from the PCB and rebuilt. Also try pressing play and rec 30 times.

H3NK3L

Member (SA)
Dec 17, 2020
France
If
Sounds like by process of elimination that the function switch was left on the radio position for sometime, maybe even years. This means that the contacts for other functions are open circuit and therefore exposed to the air so oxidization can occur. You can try the spray can fix may help but usually requires the switch to be removed from the PCB and rebuilt. Also try pressing play and rec 30 times.
I serviced a few of these, in my experience :
You can access the function switch "from behind" by removing the vertical pcb. The actual switch is not that small. Usually spray and a lot of switching helps. As quoted, often happens when it's been in the same position over quite a period of time.

However if its ONLY when playing tape (abnormal difference between left and right channel by ear and by vu-meter), there are two accessible trimmers on the vertical pcb. They allow to separately set the level on right and left channel for the tape. They are ever so slightly hidden, but indicated (imprint on the pcb). on the visible side you can see the holes for them, a small flat screwdriver will fit throug. In my experience they are a bit fragile so be very cautious when moving them.

(they are those 3 legged metla and black variable resistors, but be cautious since you will be setting them from their underside)