PC-5 Stereo Reception

429CV23

Feb 12, 2020
Hi All
One issue left to tackle on the new PC-5. It is reluctant to go into stereo mode. I get strong FM signals, dial moves from red to green, and on occasion the Stereo light flashes. There is an MPX adjustment listed in the service manual, is that an adjustment to bring quicker stereo reception in?
Thanks!

H3NK3L

Member (SA)
Dec 17, 2020
France
Hi All
One issue left to tackle on the new PC-5. It is reluctant to go into stereo mode. I get strong FM signals, dial moves from red to green, and on occasion the Stereo light flashes. There is an MPX adjustment listed in the service manual, is that an adjustment to bring quicker stereo reception in?
Thanks!
Hello, I have the same problem on my pc-5 and pc-55...it s pretty easy to solve : on the tuner main board there are 2 screw-resistors (variable), they are indicated as VR01 and VR02. VR01 is the complicated one, it sets the 19khz setting, VR02 on the other hand sets the stereo separation. What I did is
1. Mark the current setting on the variable resistor
2. Tune to an fm station of which you know its stereo, but of which the tuner doesn't pick up the stereo signal
3. Slightly move the resistor position until the stereo led lights up.
4. Turn it to where the stereo switches of again
5. For my part I went back to an intermediate position

Check other stations
Done

I only touched VR01 because I got a lot of "noise" in stereo, same principle, ever so slightly moved VR01 to a position where the noise disappeared.
Done

PS : I also used contact cleaner prior to do any tweaking

Hope this helps

Reactions: BoomboxLover48

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
You can loose 3db in signal strength in the aerial connection. Trace the path from PCB to the aerial and disconnect and clean all joints with fine grade wet and dry sandpaper and apply grease. This should get the stereo light working.

H3NK3L

Member (SA)
Dec 17, 2020
France
You can loose 3db in signal strength in the aerial connection. Trace the path from PCB to the aerial and disconnect and clean all joints with fine grade wet and dry sandpaper and apply grease. This should get the stereo light working.
Hell, I didn't know a bad connection from the areal could make one loose 3db.

On my end I cleaned the whole thing, thinking the antenna connection had a problem somewhere between the antennas themselves and the receiver end. So I cleaned just about everything on the way, from the copper connection to the antennas (even the screws that hold those), the connector, resoldered the plug that connects the antenna wires (which I replaced, both the wires and the plug itsself), and checked the pcb for any loose tracks, loose solder,... It didn't give me any better stereo reception except for 1 Station (but that s a station I can even grab with the antennas closed and in their holders).

I only noticed the "tweaking" in the service manual afterwards.

Cleaning and. Regressing the variable resistors didn't change a thing... The only noticeable difference I got was when moving VR02 ever so slightly... And miracle : stereo recovered - but it then came with constant "hush" kindof noise till I did the same thing on VR01..

Eversince réception is excellent and I even recovered the orange colour on the led (on the dial) which only was red or green prior to the VR01 VR02 intervention.

While at it I also replaced the totally "melted", I presume rubber, band that goes from the tuning wheel to the counterweight. The smurry came off pretty easely with ispropanol alcohol. And on the bright side : I did my first replacement of the kevral wire (and little spring) ever... And quite honestly I must say I hope I won't have to do any of those again...

Last edited:
Reactions: hopey

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
Hell, I didn't know a bad connection from the areal could make one loose 3db.

On my end I cleaned the whole thing, thinking the antenna connection had a problem somewhere between the antennas themselves and the receiver end. So I cleaned just about everything on the way, from the copper connection to the antennas (even the screws that hold those), the connector, resoldered the plug that connects the antenna wires (which I replaced, both the wires and the plug itsself), and checked the pcb for any loose tracks, loose solder,... It didn't give me any better stereo reception except for 1 Station (but that s a station I can even grab with the antennas closed and in their holders).

I only noticed the "tweaking" in the service manual afterwards.

Cleaning and. Regressing the variable resistors didn't change a thing... The only noticeable difference I got was when moving VR02 ever so slightly... And miracle : stereo recovered - but it then came with constant "hush" kindof noise till I did the same thing on VR01..

Eversince réception is excellent and I even recovered the orange colour on the led (on the dial) which only was red or green prior to the VR01 VR02 intervention.

While at it I also replaced the totally "melted", I presume rubber, band that goes from the tuning wheel to the counterweight. The smurry came off pretty easely with ispropanol alcohol. And on the bright side : I did my first replacement of the kevral wire (and little spring) ever... And quite honestly I must say I hope I won't have to do any of those again...
It is usually highly criticised to mess with Radio pots leave it to the experts they say! By chance I came across the same problem on a sharp it would tune perfectly only in mono, used screw driver and tweaked each pot in turn and found it the Stereo light popped on fixed. You can set the cross over for Stereo right in the middle of your Radio signal.

Reactions: H3NK3L