Panasonic RX-CS780 Belt Path? Help!

Rube Goldberg

Sep 28, 2020
North Carolina
I got this new in the early 1990's. The take up reel was not turning when you hit play. The belt had broken and turned to "Goo". FF and REW still work. The other belt had not broken, so I know it's path is correct. The belt that I am not sure of is the one in the picture that goes around the two black pulleys and the one white pulley. It also seems very loose. It is possible that it is too long? It is roughly 4.25 inches or 11cm long when stretched along a ruler. I ordered the Panasonic RX-CS780 belt kit on E-bay. I do not see any thing else for the belt to go around. The way that the belt rubs up against the edge of the motor seems wrong! When reassembled and tested with the belt in this configuration, it did not fix the problem.
Any and all input is welcome and much appreciated! This is a cool forum. This is my first post. Thanks very much, Rube

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
Those fly wheels run in opposite directions, so the belt must go on inside one of those black wheels if that makes any sense, good luck

Rube Goldberg

Sep 28, 2020
North Carolina
The names are just what I am calling them. I do not know what Panasonic called them or what they are called by an electronics Tech-guy. I just wanted to help with clarity so that everyone was talking about the same pulley.

Rube Goldberg

Sep 28, 2020
North Carolina
That is what was left of the old belt. It turned to "Goo" when touched. As far as I can tell there is only one pulley run by the capstan motor. The other belt{ original, unbroken) is around that pulley. I can post more pics from different angles if needed. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND REPLY!!!

Rube Goldberg

Sep 28, 2020
North Carolina
The other belt (original unbroken) goes like this: Around the pulley under the large flywheel, over the pulley under the small flywheel, around the small white pulley and around the "brass" pulley on the capstan motor shaft.

RXCS780 Belt2path - Copy.jpg

Rube Goldberg

Sep 28, 2020
North Carolina
WHOOP WHOOP!! THERE IT IS!! HOPEY YOU DA MAN!!
So, if I read that right the belt goes only around Black pulley 1 and the large white pulley? Is there any chance you could post all of that diagram and the parts list? I spent hours looking at websites and Youtube vids and couldn't find it. THANK YOU!! I'll try that tomorrow in daylight when I might be able to see what I am doing. I'll post it up if it works. THANKS! THANKS! THANKS!:bow:

Rube Goldberg

Sep 28, 2020
North Carolina
Yes, I would say a shorter belt is the cure. I ordered a pack of 50 assorted generic 1mm square drive belts from China. I' sure the quality is low but as Joseph Stalin said, quantity has a quality all it's own. They were half the price of the two "exact correct belts" on E-Bay. Take my advice, anyone working on a RX-CS780, don't buy your belts on E-Bay!!
Thank all of you folks for your help. I'll post it when I get it fixed, or if I set it on fire and throw it off a cliff.:lol:
:thankyou:

Rube Goldberg

Sep 28, 2020
North Carolina
Cheap made in China drive belts to the rescue!!! The old Panasonic is up and running again. It sounds as good as ever. Plenty of spare belts too. I hope it keeps going and going until you can't even find old cassettes in the thrift stores! I'll post a photo when I get a minute. Thanks!

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Yes, I would say a shorter belt is the cure. I ordered a pack of 50 assorted generic 1mm square drive belts from China. I' sure the quality is low but as Joseph Stalin said, quantity has a quality all it's own. They were half the price of the two "exact correct belts" on E-Bay. Take my advice, anyone working on a RX-CS780, don't buy your belts on E-Bay!!
Thank all of you folks for your help. I'll post it when I get it fixed, or if I set it on fire and throw it off a cliff.:lol:
:thankyou:
Lol.

geocrasher

Jun 29, 2021
WA State
I registered solely to say thanks for this thread. I picked up a RX-CS780 at the local Goodwill for $14, so excited! I was not surprised when the tape player didn't work. Based on the advice in this thread, I ordered up some belts from our friends to via Amazon, and was able to get it playing again. I am a very happy fella right now! Rocking out to some Bowie right now, and now I'm actually considering rebuilding my cassette collection instead of what I'd planned previously, which was starting a vinyl collection.

This boombox came out when I was about 15. I'm as thrilled to have it now as I'd have been then!

1625029217900.png