Panasonic RX- 5600

tiltedtripod

Feb 1, 2023
ohio
Im new here and hope im posting this in the right spot. I have a very nice Panasonic rx-5600 About a year ago I replaced the belts cleaned the capstan pinch roller and tape head. When I replaced the belts I wasn't sure of the size and had to guess. Through trial and error and adjusting the motor speed I got it all working. Lately when I play some of my cassettes they get part way into the cassette and the begin to drag or warble. I thought this might be the player? Idk I put the same tape in my Lasonic trc 931 as well as a few mini boomboxes and none of them play the tapes right. Some work better than others. So is this the cassette or the boombox? Ive noticed that shorter cassettes seem to not have any problems its mostly the longer ones. It's as though the player isn't strong enough to move the tape however it freely winds by hand and in the player. Unfortunately I don't have a brand new cassette player to rule out the player being the problem. So if any one can help answer the question as to why some of my cassettes won't play I would greatly appreciate it. Oh I also put wifi rgb led lights inside to light it up. The lights are powered separately from the boombox with its own usb lead Photos below.

Attachments

goodman

Member (SA)
Jun 14, 2011
Bulgaria
I put the same tape in my Lasonic trc 931 as well as a few mini boomboxes and none of them play the tapes right.
Some work better than others. So is this the cassette or the boombox?
Cassettes get old and reels get warped. If you have the same problem on different boomboxes - so cassette is bad.

Ive noticed that shorter cassettes seem to not have any problems its mostly the longer ones.
It's as though the player isn't strong enough to move the tape .
This is different problem - mostly with old or wrong belts and pinch roller.

To test boomboxes for playback problems you can use old Sony EF 60 from 90's.
This cassette have very nice reels and no problems with playback and rewind.
If you have playback problems with this cassette - problem is in boombox deck.

Last edited: