Panasonic national rx 5350

Shortynsammy

Apr 5, 2023
New jersey
Hi my Panasonic national rx 5350 has no sound from radio even while cassette buttons are engaged,cassette player sounds great but when put selector switch to radio there is no sound from radio any feedback would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
Shorty, you should be specific about which brand you have.
The three brands are Panasonic, National and National/Panasonic.
I've recently found out that my Nat/Pan has a completely different main circuit board than the other two brands.
There is a service manual for the Panasonic which, I believe is the same as the National, but none for the Nat/Pan which is making it difficult for me to troubleshoot mine.
Whichever brand you have, the first thing you'll want to do is clean all switches and pots along with the record bar switch.
Those are the easiest things to start with.

Shortynsammy

Apr 5, 2023
New jersey
Ok it’s a national Panasonic rx 5350f cassette works great sound and vu meters work but when I move selector switch to radio I get no sound and no stereo light I’ve also tried pressing play with selector switch on radio still nothing I’ve cleaned all swithches hopefully someone will be able to help thanks to everyone

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
I recapped mine, Deoxed everything and put it back together only to find the stereo and ambience modes not working in FM.
They work great in AM, aux in and cassette but not in FM (my stereo light doesn't come on and the meters go dead).
While I was probing a resistor with my dmm, I touched another component and shorted something out then had no sound at all :bang:
I THINK my trouble is the "voltage regulator" transistor on the heatsink but won't know for sure until I change it out.

Does your AM work?
Does your aux in work?
Do you get anything through the headphone jack?

It's possible that you might have to take the switch apart and clean it.
I've taken every switch, including the record bar, apart to clean them.
It's not fun, is time consuming and fairly delicate work but in the end you can definitely count them out as a potential problem and should never have to worry about them again.

Shortynsammy

Apr 5, 2023
New jersey
Hey thanks no sound from any of the bands I put headphones on and sound does come out from cassette but none from any bands I connected a CD player on aux and phono I get sound from that through speakers and headphones but when I put selector switch to radio I get nothing not even a sound when switching through am,fm and rest.

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
Could be the function switch or something on the tuner board.
Make sure the plug from the tuner to the main board is seated properly.
You can download a free copy of the Panasonic RX-5350 manual and use it to troubleshoot the tuner board since those seem to be the same.
You can start by verifying voltages on IC2.
Just make sure not to short anything.