Opinions on a TRK-8180E

Fetchezlavache

Oct 30, 2020
St Albans
Good morning chaps, I like the look of the TRK-8180E and they look like they are available for reasonable money such as here

Are these models any good? Opinions would be great. Cheers

Hisrudeness

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2014
South East London UK
Got one of these on a little job lot pick up earlier this summer. Nice classical looking boombox. Good to get one that’s not dinted up on the top panel. Great needle meters. RCA connection at the rear but will need to attenuate.
Sonically it’s average but your seller has changed out the speakers evidently.

Nice classic boombox with a lot of charm.

Line Out

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2012
Finland
Got a well used example of a TRK-8180EM and just the other day I got it repaired with superglue and a really bad, too long flat belt with some makeshift methods.

Anyway, I took it to the streets with somewhat good batteries (about 1,49 volts on a multimeter).

It played very nice and loud until at some point the left channel just went silent. I could still get both channels to work in Wide mode, but when I turned the balance to the left, it attenuated the output the further left I turned it.

I checked that the speakers are ok as left speakers worked when I switched left and right (connector in reverse).

Also seems to have all potentiometers and switches in good working condition, no static. Continuity and connections between the sound control pcb and the main board is ok.

Poking around with a small screw driver I could get some normal popping on both channels so seems like the amp chip is still good.

Both VU needles are bouncing normally.

I also went through every bad looking solder joint and there were many! Couldn't see any clearly damaged components on the boards.

When turned on, volume at min, there is the normal audible background hiss on both channels, but increasing volume only affects the right channel, making the hiss more audible. When I turn it to Wide mode, both channels are hissing, but if I turn the balance all the way to left, there is again only the normal audible background hiss.

Can't find a free service manual. 8080E seems very different.

Valde

Member (SA)
Sep 12, 2020
Norway
Got a well used example of a TRK-8180EM and just the other day I got it repaired with superglue and a really bad, too long flat belt with some makeshift methods.

Anyway, I took it to the streets with somewhat good batteries (about 1,49 volts on a multimeter).

It played very nice and loud until at some point the left channel just went silent. I could still get both channels to work in Wide mode, but when I turned the balance to the left, it attenuated the output the further left I turned it.

I checked that the speakers are ok as left speakers worked when I switched left and right (connector in reverse).

Also seems to have all potentiometers and switches in good working condition, no static. Continuity and connections between the sound control pcb and the main board is ok.

Poking around with a small screw driver I could get some normal popping on both channels so seems like the amp chip is still good.

Both VU needles are bouncing normally.

I also went through every bad looking solder joint and there were many! Couldn't see any clearly damaged components on the boards.

When turned on, volume at min, there is the normal audible background hiss on both channels, but increasing volume only affects the right channel, making the hiss more audible. When I turn it to Wide mode, both channels are hissing, but if I turn the balance all the way to left, there is again only the normal audible background hiss.

Can't find a free service manual. 8080E seems very different.
I see in your post you mention both 8180 and the 8080, witch one have the problem? I have the service manual for the 8080 if you need. Nice looking boxes all of them.
DSC_0777.JPG

Reactions: Alpha Mike

jonny

Member (SA)
May 21, 2016
Wes, you absolute bloody legend, I'd almost given up on finding a serivce manual for my 8180! Huge thanks for posting that! :bow::bow::bow: