One more question...it's soo close!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BassHead

Member (SA)
May 5, 2018
St Petersburg, FL
I got my strap for my RC-550 from Blu_fuz and feeling good :rock: . I took the blaster to our local pride festival this weekend and had a group of hipsters surrounding it and dancing to an old Dj Premier 1993 mixtape (Crooklyn Cuts)...lol

After cleaning the deck well, including the record bar....the deck was working solid and the muddy/weak sound went away for several days. Then all of a sudden it re-appeared. I noticed that when "play" is engaged, and I put a little pressure on Pause, RR, or FF buttons, the sound is EXELLENT. As soon as I release, it goes muddy/weak. Very, very strange. Looking back, when the deck was playing fine for several days, I noted the RR button was a little lower than it is now. I can't get it to do that again, and would rather fix than try to jerry rig it.

I've also included a photo, courtesy of Jorge, that helps you see the internals better and maybe give you some idea. I'm at a loss. Thank You!

I could post a video, but I'm not sure if it will add much value.

Jorge

Member (SA)
Jul 12, 2017
California
square-2.com
By slightly pressing Pause, etc keys you release some pressure from pinchroller onto capstan. Check the pinchroller, maybe flip it, mine was badly deformed in other bbox and changing it fixed the problem. Not easily done in JVC so hopefully some easier ideas will follow...

Jorge

Member (SA)
Jul 12, 2017
California
square-2.com
Right now I am working on another JVC mono, a "mini-me" for RC-550 and it has All the problems imaginable! Similar cassette mechanism and the same pinchroller. Once done I will upload photos, maybe it will help with yours. This mini-me (JVC RC-414) cost $45 with shipping, resale value should be exactly Zero, but a great chance to practice full rebuild and quite an experience for when all rubber tyres gone rock-hard to the bone, capstan sintered brass sleeve worn into ground, head misaligned at its hard point (not just azimuth screw!). Total waste of efforts, but so much fun!

BassHead

Member (SA)
May 5, 2018
St Petersburg, FL
I found the topic below, which had some other great recommendations. I think it might be adjustment of head azimuth. When I hit Play, FF, RW, I notice the sound gets better as the head raises a bit...a noticeable amount. I can't see a corresponding change in the pinch roller. The pinch roller feels strong. The record bar is surely clean and tape head is clean/demag'd.

I notice what looks to be a very small flat head screw on one side of the head. Is that how it is adjusted...using a jewelery screwdriver (plastic)?

https://boomboxery.com/forum/index.php/topic/25970-sharp-gf9090-muddy-sound/?hl=%2Bsound+%2Bgets+%2Bdistorted

https://boomboxery.com/forum/index.php/topic/17717-ideas-tape-starts-with-highs-then-goes-low/?hl=%2Badjusting+%2Bhead+%2Bazimuth#entry218224

This is EXACTLY it. I notice it gets muddy as soon as the snare isn't crisp sounding, and this is what badboybill indicates in the attached thread. That's the easiest way, and I found a few more threads...similar issue. I'll do some search on azimuth adjustment and see what I find!

I'm loving my 550. It's pretty easy to work on, and I've learnt a boat load with it already!

BassHead

Member (SA)
May 5, 2018
St Petersburg, FL
Ok Ok.

I see the two screws on either side of the head. Is it the right one...looking straight at the head? The manual doesn't show how to remove the cassette door and I'm worried that I'm applying too much pressure. How is this removed?

If I can adjust azimuth from outside the box, I will be golden, as I can give her a turn, and see how she responds, and keep on going. Thanks!

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Most of the time, you can just remove the cassette door cover to get access to the screw.

Jorge

Member (SA)
Jul 12, 2017
California
square-2.com
Unfortunately, with RC550 there is no detachable cover, you have to take out the whole door, with hinges and all... Check SM on where to press (its by the Right hinge) then pull out, do Not force too much.

BassHead

Member (SA)
May 5, 2018
St Petersburg, FL
Is the azimuth adjustment the screw with the spring I assume? Can I use a jewelry metal screw driver and damag it with my tape damag?

I'll get some nail polish to slightly hold the screw once I have optimized it.

Thanks.

Jorge

Member (SA)
Jul 12, 2017
California
square-2.com
Correct! Spring-loaded screw is for the azimuth adjustment, the other screw is not adjustable (just make sure it is not loose). I am glad to see someone even more paranoid than myself... :-) any small screwdriver will do the job.

BassHead

Member (SA)
May 5, 2018
St Petersburg, FL
Thanks Jorge for being patient with me. I got it working very nicely after adjusting by ear. I did about 4 full turns CW.

Now when I slightly press Pause, FF, or RW, the sound gets muddy HAHA, like it probably should! PERFECT!

Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.