Member (SA)
Dec 4, 2017
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
WOW, this is HUGE! Fantastic work Harry Stone! :hooray:

Can you do it with the lower deck door?
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
WOW, this is HUGE! Fantastic work Harry Stone! :hooray:

Can you do it with the lower deck door?
I told my buddy about this request and he said he'd design the door for $1000. Not kidding. It is a lot of work to design these things and really I think he'd be under charging for that. He'd also have to pay rent to take my door of my box to measure it, lol. I think he'd give up the plans for that price so you'd own the ability to reproduce them as well. I don't think anyone would be interested but if you were, I'll pass it on to him.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
I'm a bit over halfway done capturing all of the dimensions for the door piece on paper. It's extremely detailed. There's also the hinge bracket. I've been playing with EasyCAD and am going to try and enter it, but I can't make any guarantees on an ETA. If I crash and burn I can always post the measurements so someone else can try. There's the window too, but could a usable one even be printed, even if the material is clear?

harry.stone1111

Member (SA)
Dec 4, 2017
Yeah, I'm not sure about printing clear. It seems like you could find a flat clear plastic sheet and cut it and fill the space. Maybe a clear plastic cassette case might do the trick.

That is, cut a square out of the cassette case.

Caution, if we can get the CAD drawings, we could produce a rough print. Wouldn't ask too much for that if anyone was interested.

Also, it is small enough to be produced on my buddies smaller but better quality printer.

I'll ask about printing clear. Just realized how complex the clear part is.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
I'll draw the door exactly as it is to start with, so if someone wants to replace a broken door they can still use their original window. Otherwise, anyone is free to edit the file to accomodate a plain rectangular piece of plexi chamfered on three edges and still have it look original. It will have to be printed at an angle to get it to print right, with supports, sort of like this

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
caution said:
I'll draw the door exactly as it is to start with, so if someone wants to replace a broken door they can still use their original window. Otherwise, anyone is free to edit the file to accomodate a plain rectangular piece of plexi chamfered on three edges and still have it look original. It will have to be printed at an angle to get it to print right, with supports, sort of like this

What program do you use to create these drawings?

harry.stone1111

Member (SA)
Dec 4, 2017
There is a lot of subtle nuances to printing. Even with a perfect drawing, it isn't like the replicator from Star Trek, lol. Lots of adjustments to get it perfect and the quality of the printer is a factor too. The printed pieces requires polishing and finishing too.

However, I have incredible faith in Caution. If anyone can perfect it, it's him.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
harry.stone1111 said:
Did you ever get a chance to ask? Printing clear doesn't look very promising. I'm thinking molding is the best bet. Print the inverse of the door as two pieces that you can polish and clamp together, and fill with clear resin. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some sort of little vacuum pump they sell to help suck air bubbles out of molds.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Here lately I have been having good luck with trusting folks and their 3D printing skills. I made a spring to work the door and fitted Harry's 3D printed drawer into place. This box only needs to function 100%. It has its battle scars so reproduction parts don't bother me on this one at all.

I am happy with the idea that there is no longer a hole in my box and I can carry extra tapes too :-) This 3D drawer accomplishes that. It's nice to finally see this thing complete.

Overall I think the drawer is fine and it serves its purpose well.

20190227_163945.jpg
20190227_164000.jpg

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Heck yeah! I'm surprised Harry hasn't sold more of these. If I had a C100 or AKA, I would get one whether I needed it or not. It's always nice to have spare parts.

harry.stone1111

Member (SA)
Dec 4, 2017
Thanks for the kind words. I'm down to my last 4 drawers. I'll give them all up for $200 if there are any takers. My printing buddy has moved and I've given him my share of the printer so that'll be it when I'm done. I'm happy with my drawer and excited that I was able to help so many other enthusiasts too.