Mysterious white wire coming from tuner board

Status
Not open for further replies.

stragulus

Member (SA)
Sep 4, 2014
New York
Hey all,

I'm trying to analyze an issue with the tuner on my Clairtone. It doesn't tune into FM stereo, and it's not the typical VR setting that is off. It doesn't tune in stereo, BUT if a channel is strongly tuned in, it will briefly flicker on, along with a lot of static, on louder passages in the music. E.g. if you are listening to a song with a steady heavy beat, it will briefly kick in at the beats.

Now, I also noticed that there is a long loose white wire coming from the PCB that is not connected (anymore?) to the other end. I used to have a Helix but this one does not have a wire at this location at all. Does anyone else have this wire and can tell me where the other end goes? I am not convinced this will solve the stereo issue, but I'd like to get that out of the way first.

20170602_230428.jpg

stragulus

Member (SA)
Sep 4, 2014
New York
Ah yes, mystery solved, thanks! I'll add a disconnectable plug in that wire for easier future disassembly. Also, great diagram! That will save me some time from having to dive into my extensive disassembly photo library.

Status
Not open for further replies.