My JVC RC-838JW ** Project Twisty Treat

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Love it! Bit more subtle than your usual bling-fest and I love it...the fact that the vu's are in the middle make it look just right. Very nice indeed...top work :-)

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
Thanx guys!! This is the first 838 I bought originally for a horrific price, even tho the left side was dead. It was so minty. it looked like it came out of a time capsule..

Ok, back to the first chassis....

Finallly got my solder remover in the mail from China & couldn't find any in my home city of Windsor, Ontario. So China wins again.

Anyways, finally was able to remove the balance slider & open it up. No broken tracks but one of the finger pairs for the Left channel fell out of the casing when I pulled the tabs up & removed the track board...

I'm guessing that's my problem...ya think??

Time to get out the tweezers & jb weld & fix this thing & retest. If that is a go then I'll tackle the Bass & Treble faders next...I have a good chance since this thing sat with almost 0 hours of use & no oxidation. Everything is fresh as fark!!

May still have a 2nd fully working 838 when I'm done...*fingers crossed*

Cpl

Gnarlyman

Member (SA)
Mar 23, 2018
I'm glad to see your fix for this problem here, my Fader has the same problem with the left channel cutting out completely. I'm gonna check all this stuff to try and fix it. Mine also cuts out the left channel in Mono and stereo modes, works on both channels in Expand and BiPhonic though.

BassHead

Member (SA)
May 5, 2018
St Petersburg, FL
I bought a similar box with the typical left speaker not working in stereo mode. The bass and treble sliders didn't work at all as well. Additionally, the unit didn't work with batteries. I sprayed all the contacts associated with the battery module and cleaned all the sliders with deoxit. Now I'm getting sound out of the left speaker in stereo and the unit works with batteries. Additionally the bass and treble sliders are working, but if the bass slider is at '0' position, the left speaker doesn't work. Strange. But who wants to use a radio with 0 bass?!? Nonetheless, the sliders may be on their way out, so i'm not going to leave them be ;)

I'm happy that I was able to get the box in a condition deemed adequate, as this box is one of my more aesthetically minty examples.

chucknorris

Member (SA)
Sep 12, 2019
Melbourne Beach, FL
This post is somewhat dated, but the information is valuable. I just purchased a minty 838 and the left speaker does not play in stereo or mono, but does play in BiPhonic mode. Most of the pictures in the post are removed, so I'm using the descriptions by clp-chronic to help with the repair. fingers crossed

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
chucknorris said:
This post is somewhat dated, but the information is valuable. I just purchased a minty 838 and the left speaker does not play in stereo or mono, but does play in BiPhonic mode. Most of the pictures in the post are removed, so I'm using the descriptions by clp-chronic to help with the repair. fingers crossed
Congrats on the RC-838! When working on any boombox, it always helps to take lots of pictures as you progress through the repair. It seems we always forget where a screw or wire goes.

Also, welcome aboard!!

PS - I really enjoyed watching you in Walker, Texas Ranger. :-D :lol: :lol: :-P