My first one: a Sanyo M 9994LU

325addict

Mar 17, 2024
The Netherlands
Let me introduce myself first a bit: Timmo Meyer, longtime cassette user (since 1977) and in posession of boomboxes since 1983. That was the year I got my first own boom box: a Philips D-8414. I used it soooo much, that years and years later, it was completely worn. I managed to wear the head down to such an extent that it started to scratch the tape. That was the end... by that time, I was ready for some serious cassette gear: I bought the top of the line Kenwood KX-9010 cassette deck, which I still have today. After that, many other good cassette decks came, and are here to stay: a Nakamichi CR-7E and, just yesterday I finally bought a Tandberg 3014A... but back on topic: after the demise of the Philips, it felt as if something was missing... something nice and portable, to have radio AND cassette. For radio-portability, I have a Makita radio, which works well, but hey, can anybody tell me where to put in my cassettes? So, I have been lurking for quite some time to get myself a (good sounding) boombox once again. I read a lot about the Sanyo M9994 and everybody seemed to like it: built like a tank, professional grade, very good sound.... that's what I wanted! So, finally I grabbed one. It basically works, although cassette speed is a bit too slow (but VERY constant, even a 10kHz test tone is reproduced nearly without any audible flutter) and rewinding is too weak. Both belts have been replaced, so something else may slip... I guess there are rubber idlers in the mechanism? I didn't open it yet... but I'm into the cassette game for the full 100% again now... with cassette facilities in my living room, in my hobby room, in my cars, on the go with my WM-F28 and... everywhere I want :-) Cassette never went out of style for me, I continued to use them while others moved to DAT, DCC and MD... I still use them nearly every day.IMG_7368.JPG

Reactions: Tinman