M90 Battery Spring cleanup or replace.

OldnSlow

Aug 17, 2023
Ontario
After reading posts and info on this site for many years, I now have a nice boombox worth joining up for, and asking for advice on! It is a JVC RC-M90 I found at a local sale. I am a hobbyist and tinkerer with turntables and other vintage audio gear but had to bring this one home and it is my first boombok.

Cosmetically it is pretty decent with all the antennas, knobs and handles. But at some point batteries were left in the battery bay and one of the springs and contacts is badly rusted. I would appreciate advice on how best to clean this up, or if there are replacement options for the spring available. I took the back off of the M90 to get access to the hidden part of the battery bay, and that spring is perfectly clean and shiny. A picture of it is attached.

Also appreciate suggestions on replacing the foam on the battery bay door, as it is deteriorated and is crumbly.

Thanks

20230817_165533.jpg

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
I soak rusted bits in vinegar for a few hours (a day or two for a thorough strip) but if you don't want to or can't remove the springs, use a toothbrush. It will start bubbling as it eats the rust. Search YouTube for 'vinegar battery spring' there are a ton of videos to follow.

Reactions: OldnSlow

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
If you can't clean those, you can get replacements.
Search for flashlight springs, try and find the largest ones.
They're not going to be perfect replacements but they'll work.

OldnSlow

Aug 17, 2023
Ontario
Thanks for the ideas. While hacking away at the rust, I will also keep an eye out at yard sales for 6 volt flashlights with big springs!

Brutus442

Member (SA)
Jan 7, 2012
Toronto, Canada
I found that some of the early 90's "egg" JVC boxes had identically matching springs ( I can't recall the model I used but it was a $5 box and utter shite)
Check your local thrift store or this worked for me.....workplace radios. Nobody uses batteries for those things so I "borrowed" the spring for my M90

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Cleaning in Vinegar or CLR will help a lot but will come out with a pitted metal surface that don't look good. Old flashlight springs will come handy and also old transistor or boombox springs like other members suggested.

OldnSlow

Aug 17, 2023
Ontario
It is coming along well all things considered. First job is to see if the batteries will work - as noted it is not a great look but I will settle for functioning right now.

I did see a square battery 9 volt flashlight at an estate sale today... of course the battery had been left in it and it was a corrosion bomb!