M70 Casette Issue

Krazz

Dec 16, 2020
California
When I got my M70, the deck didn't work. When I opened it up to recap and add the LED mod, I found the small counter belt broke and the main drive belt pretty worn and loose.

I was able to replace both belts, clean up and lightly lube some of the mechanics, clean the contacts with detoxit.

Now, when powered up, the deck still doesn't work. Motor doesn't spin, but if I manually spin it, there is sound. Also, I noticed when the back cover was off, that if I cycle power on and off, the motor and flywheel spin for a second before the power shuts everything down.

Any ideas of what I should look for?

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
I can’t remember but look under the play button for a leaf switch. It sounds like there should be a leaf switch being engaged when pressing play. Do ff/rew work?

Reactions: Hajidub

Krazz

Dec 16, 2020
California
None of the buttons engage the motor.

There are little black leaf springs (I think) under each button. Ill give them a little cleaning with some 1200 grit when I get the box open later on.

Krazz

Dec 16, 2020
California
Well, while probing with my voltmeter, I found that the little springy leaf switch needed cleaning. Once I did that...SUCCESS!!!! Put a tape in and it worked like a charm.

But...hahaha....afyer I put it all back together and started listening to an old recording of a Mickey Ward fight, it starting to make a grinding noise, then slowed to a stop. Ill open it up tomorrow again to see if it's something obvious, which it probably is.

Reactions: Hajidub

Krazz

Dec 16, 2020
California
Opened her back up and found that the plastic piece that holds the tension roller (not sure if that's the correct name) had popped up and was rubbing on the flywheel.

I roughed up the axle and epoxied the plastic piece back on.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Opened her back up and found that the plastic piece that holds the tension roller (not sure if that's the correct name) had popped up and was rubbing on the flywheel.

I roughed up the axle and epoxied the plastic piece back on.
That is a typical issue with the M70. The top plastic will break and fall off. Then it will go and rub the flywheel. It is a clutch assembly. I had the same problem once and was lucky to have a set of those plastic wheels in a kit I bought. That came so handy so I didn't have to glue anything, but push that tiny plastic ring/wheel that holds the clutch assembly.

~Royce

Attachments

Last edited: