JVC RC-M80 Tape Capstan Motor running with power off

Superduper

Member (SA)
It's not about pestering. It's that those transistors I mentioned ARE the switches for the motor, and while it may not be pleasant to hear if you aren't well versed in working with circuits, you will have to test them and replace if they are bad in order to effect a fix. So while you may ask for additional "guesses", it won't change the fact that there are no mechanical switches to clean. Also you might have to make sure that the motor wire lead (-) actually goes to the right place and not to ground. If the switching transistors were fubar (open, not shorted), and someone found that the (-) wire didn't have ground, they might have attempted to supply ground from someplace else and brought it to the motor. You may need the service manual to verify if the (-) lead is wired correctly. If wired direct to ground, then yes, the motor will run, but it will behave exactly like this, runs all the time. The (-) connection is supposed to be switched, and it's through those transistors. BTW, if the transistors are not bad, then additional circuit analysis will need to take place. But until the power and play button are actuated, the motor (-) connection should not be connected to ground, this is easy enough to check with a meter.

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
Ok, cool! Thanks for directing me to the starting point. Very interesting stuff & much appreciated Super. =) I'll download the manual & check those transistors if I can. I know it was working right before I tore the unit apart, last time so it is not likely the transistor was bypassed on the negative side.

Last edited: