JVC PC-5 driver replacement - fostex fe103 nv

H3NK3L

Member (SA)
Dec 17, 2020
France
Hello,
I recently acquired a jvc pc-5, with only 2 issues :
Stereo reception hardly working and main problem : someone had replaced the speakers / drivers.

After having seen nick Eccles replacing them with jbl and trying those I wasn't quite happy with the sound, nor with the 4 ohms.

So I went for a loooooong search and trials and errors... From pioneer, sharp, jvc, jbl, Sony (from an fh-7),.. And others until found a pair that combines both looks and sound : fostex fe103-nv.

They are an almost perfect fit without changing / modifying the speaker cabinet. The slight backdrop : the square enclosure doesn't close on the sides (the two little lips on the side can't enter due to the frame of the drivers being less. Than half a mm too wide, does blocking the little lip thing that can't be squeezed in. It's hardly noticeable...

Sound wise... Damn this device blows! Pretty deep bass and great highs and mediums, even Alan Walkers Faded and others now play with bass.

Attachments

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
that looks quite good, the originals always look the best though, at least it looks ok compared to some of the other abortions i have seen

Reactions: H3NK3L

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
If you want a perfect job my man, take the dust caps from the original speakers and glue them on the new ones, just a suggestion assuming you are not going to re foam the originals

H3NK3L

Member (SA)
Dec 17, 2020
France
If you want a perfect job my man, take the dust caps from the original speakers and glue them on the new ones, just a suggestion assuming you are not going to re foam the originals
I actually refoamed the originals in their original speaker enclosure (I have 2 pairs of those now)... Just don't like the original sound of them compared to the new ones.

The pc-5 I had gotten only had some pretty cheap black 4 ohm speakers in them.

I have conciderered painting the new center caps, since they stick out way to much (they are approx 1.5 cm high semi-spheres) to glue other "silver" caps on them.

So all in all I have 2 versions now :
1. the full original one : original refoamed drivers + original speaker cabinet
2. The original speaker cabinets + these new drivers

I have to admit... I use this device daily, and having heard it with the fostex drivers who have a real broad Dynamic range with real bass and real. Highs, I really really really dont like the sound of the originals who sound muffled compared to it, and don't even come close sound quality wise

But.. Honestly if I hadn't tried both, the original drivers are pretty decent - provided one keeps de loudness button ON.

So if I ever sell it, I ll probably do so sith the original restaured set of speakers.

But thanks for the idea anyway!