JVC PC-150 is underrated

bobmonkhouse

May 30, 2020
Calgary
I just picked up a JVC PC-150 locally. I hadn't found much info on those except a thread criticizing them for a bad sound, so I was hesitant but I really liked the features and the looks, so bough it.

It turned out to be a more than a decent little unit. Yes, there is no much bass as some have complained but the sound is clear and well balanced. After listening to it for a half an hour, I really got used to the sound as it was. I didn't have higher expectations and wasn't disappointed. I guess it triggered memories from the 80s and wasn't new to me how those boomboxes sounded. It's definitely pleasant to listen to while doing something else around the house.

One thing I noticed is, the level indicator goes all the way up to +3 and +6 dB even with commercially recorded tapes. 9-10 o'clock on the volume dial is the max I can comfortably listen to.

It's not as heavy and on par with my PC-5 and PC-11, I don't hear any difference when playing with the equalizer sliders.
One thing I have to get fixed is the tape/tuner switch. Sometimes switching to tape, one of the channels gets lost and have to wiggle it a couple of times.

JVC PC-150 (BB01s).jpg

Reactions: Brutus442

Brutus442

Member (SA)
Jan 7, 2012
Toronto, Canada
I've always had a soft spot for the JVC 3 piecers. It may not be the top of the line but it's still got some character and the gun metal grey colour is very nice. I would've snapped it up if I saw it as well. Good purchase!

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
Try cleaning the eq slides with a cotton tip and alcohol. Also contact cleaner on the function switch. You have to take it apart of course.