JVC M90 Plays at full volume when rewinding the cassette. Auto search not working.

brovKO

Jul 5, 2020
Ukraine
Hi guys! I got another M90. After a lot of work, I managed to get it working, I changed the standard fusible resistors, belts, cleaned and lubricated, and also replaced the audio amplifier chip. Now the radio is working, but there are a few problems left:
1. If you press the "play" button and then press rewind (regardless of whether it is forward or backward), the sound does not disappear during rewind and the accelerated sound still sounds loudly from the speakers, as when playing.
2. Auto search for songs does not work. I can choose how many tracks to rewind, the LEDs are lit, but when rewind is turned on, the deck rewinds the entire tape, as if the system does not see that one song has ended and the next one has begun.
Perhaps these are related problems? I haven't come across this before, so I'm asking for your help. Thanks in advance. Take care of yourself!

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
This will be something to do with the music search board, i disconnected mine once and it behaved exactly as described.beyond that i can't help i'm afraid

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
I can't help any further i'm afraid jt was so long ago, there are a few experts on here that will be able to help.....i wouldn't want to give you the wrong advice with this as the m90 is such a valuable box, good luck

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
as far as i remember the music scanner board is the one associated with the 1 through to 5 led's, don't quote me on that. i also don't know the part number, get the service manual, plenty free online, good luck dude

Superduper

Member (SA)
The issue might be related, or might not. I would look into the the audio signal path that goes to the MMS amp. Music search circuits usually feeds a signal to the MMS processor. If the signal is too low or dead, the IC probably can't tell when to stop the tape. Also, a sufficiently strong signal can also trigger a muting transistor to, well you guessed it -- "mute" the audio so you don't get that annoying high pitched gibberish.