JVC-M70

prg333

Member (SA)
Aug 1, 2010
I bought my JVC-M70 boombox back in 2011. It was $400. Worked perfectly now in 2023. When I push play nothing happens I have to push play about 12 to 15 times. Then it will play. Sometimes when I flip over the tape and push play . It will play other times I have to push the play button about a dozen times again. I don’t think it’s the belt. Something else I’m not sure what it would be. Any thoughts? Something else wearing out? Can’t figure out what it is though. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Getting difficult to find a good working. M/70 now for a good price. As time goes on the top two. JVC BOOMBOXES M-70 & M-90 getting harder and harder to find in any type of condition let alone working condition, fully working the radio and the cassette deck, especially the cassette deck. I think the cassette deck was simpler in the M-70. M-90 cassette deck was more involved because of the remote control that you could plug in to the boombox.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
This could be due to a dirty leaf switch. When you press the play button it engages the motor leaf switch. You can see this leaf switch operate with the play button when you remove the deck section out. I should have a picture of this leaf switch. Let me see if I can find it. Gently clean the contact area with very fine emery paper and see how that goes. A few gentle strokes will be more than enough. It is better to replace that leaf switch with a small micro switch.

Last edited:

prg333

Member (SA)
Aug 1, 2010
This could be due to a dirty leaf switch. When you press the play button it engages the motor leaf switch. You can see this leaf switch operate with the play button when you remove the deck section out. I should have a picture of this leaf switch. Let me see if I can find it. Gently clean the contact area with very fine emery paper and see how that goes. A few gentle strokes will be more than enough. It is better to replace that leaf switch with a small micro switch.
That sounds good but you have to take the deck out to get to the leaf switch? Then replace it with a micro switch? I’m not particularly good at taking apart stuff like the boombox. Maybe I could convince my friend if the technician to do it if it’s not too hard to get the deck out of the unit.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
That sounds good but you have to take the deck out to get to the leaf switch? Then replace it with a micro switch? I’m not particularly good at taking apart stuff like the boombox. Maybe I could convince my friend if the technician to do it if it’s not too hard to get the deck out of the unit.
Cleaning the leaf switch should do the job. I don't think you have to remove the deck section but have to open the boombox, remove the front sections with speakers and then chassis out.
JVC RC-M70 Boombox Complete Overhaul Before & After - YouTube
The above link will be helpful to open the M70.

prg333

Member (SA)
Aug 1, 2010
Cleaning the leaf switch should do the job. I don't think you have to remove the deck section but have to open the boombox, remove the front sections with speakers and then chassis out.
JVC RC-M70 Boombox Complete Overhaul Before & After - YouTube
The above link will be helpful to open the M70.
OK thank you that sounds good. I’ll watch it the link. I’ll look at it. I might try to do it myself. If not, I can convince my friend to do it if he doesn’t have to take out the deck.

prg333

Member (SA)
Aug 1, 2010
Sometimes, you really can't fix things with just the power of your mind. Sometimes, no matter how many times you hope the answer is going to be something simple and non-invasive, it just isn't. Sometimes, you just need to dive in, get your hands dirty, and do it.
That’s true. I’m hoping it’s something not too complicated like the leaf switch. But it could be more so I guess I just have to figure it out. Do some research for the work it’s definitely worth fixing that boombox the M 70.