JVC Deck Help

fresh produce

Member (SA)
Oct 12, 2010
Sunny California
Hello everyone, I been using my 838 for awhile now and just recently the deck started playing the cassettes wonky and ruins the cassette, I'm assuming it might need new belts and maybe a pinch roller or could it be something else? Has this happen to anyone else? does anyone know where i can find some belts, the pinch roller and what are the sizes?

jerrymilton

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2019
Austin, TX
Hello everyone, I been using my 838 for awhile now and just recently the deck started playing the cassettes wonky and ruins the cassette, I'm assuming it might need new belts and maybe a pinch roller or could it be something else? Has this happen to anyone else? does anyone know where i can find some belts, the pinch roller and what are the sizes?
Belts can be found on Ebay.... not sure if you have the service manual yet... but here is a link: https://www.audioservicemanuals.com/j/jvc/jvc-rc/261475-jvc-rc-838-service-manual

Reactions: Tubejunkie

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
A service manual is also in the Boomboxery Library. Belts are listed as:

Belt FRM9.6
Belt SCY4.6

As for the pinch roller, I would say just give it a good cleaning. That might be all it needs.

Reactions: Tubejunkie

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
In some cases a very light sanding of the pinch roller will also help. Basically remove a "nano layer" of the rubber surface. I used 1000 grit automotive grade 3M emery paper and lightly sanded the surface for a few turns of the wheel. Use light pressure with the emery paper making sure it is flat on the wheel.
~Royce

Last edited:

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Yes, could be pinch roller, one of my 838’s had a very hard pinch roller and it wasn’t being drawn through correctly, slipping and such so it would eat the tape. A good pinch roller is important anyhow as they get hard and brittle after 43 years!