How to repair cassette deck slow open?

Simagus

Jul 1, 2022
UK
I've had it apart and regreased the moving part but it either doesn't open or springs open depending on where the air is trapped. What is the correct way to fix this please?

Huffers

Member (SA)
Apr 25, 2019
Billericay, Essex, UK
Is it a piston style damper or a gear wheel?
On the gear wheels I use silicon oil which you can get in different weights. I have used 100,000 cst the higher the number the thicker. It does also depend on the strength of the spring. You could
Also buy a thinner oil maybe 10,000 then you can mix them to get the right level
Of damping. If it’s a piston type then you just need a thin silicon oil to lubricate, you just need to make sure the piston is making a good deal and not damaged.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
The viscosity of the silicon fluid is very important for better results. The one I use for turntable tone arm damping piston is almost like a jelly, very thick. I have several DUAL and technics turntables and work on then often. I gained lots of experience working on them.

In some cases it is just an air damped piston with no damping fluid in it. Basically the piston has a small hole to restrict the airflow and give the damping effect. The one I like most is the damping done with fan blades for air friction. I have a few boomboxes have got that. can't remember which model. The spring loaded door is connected through a worm gear to turn a fan with blades that gives the best air friction.

Last edited:
Reactions: Simagus

Simagus

Jul 1, 2022
UK
Thanks for the replies, it is a piston type. The first time I regreased, as there was old grease in there. I think I over did it and made an almost total seal. I have cleaned it off now and tried again and it is much better. I think you are right and a thinner grease would improve it further.