How to get inside a TDK boombox!

pasta

Member (SA)
Nov 10, 2019
I have the Cube (non-wireless version). There is power but no sound after several years of stellar performance. Does anyone know a fix?

Thanks!

Reactions: ElectroKid

bryce0lynch

Member (SA)
Dec 1, 2019
I bricked my pristine 2-speaker TDK trying to flash the firmware to fix the annoying auto-off issue. Bought a used but working one off of eBay that was in TERRIBLE shape. Tore it apart to get at the boards with the flash. It seems like there are two that have the potential for the board I need, so I'll move both.

Observations:
*) Prying off the faceplate is anxiety ridden. I was terrified I would crack it. And that was the junky unit!
*) The connectors, board, etc are heavily super glued/mastic'd. They did a decent job trying to vibration-proof the thing. Makes it a pain to disassemble though.
*) But there are also weird jumper wires that look hand soldered after the fact. Really out of place.
*) In retrospect, I should have just moved the trim pieces off of my unit to the junky one instead of messing around with the boards.

I'mm be trying to complete the project tonight or tomorrow night.

marcin

Apr 11, 2021
Poland
TDK designed a contingency for that, you didn't have to tear it apart to un-brick it.
I had a flash update go bad, and had to go through this procedure, but it works.
https://vowe.net/archives/012911.html
Unfortunately, it looks like I have the same problem with my TDK, do you still have a software update file somewhere? He is not on the manufacturer's website anymore ... I will be grateful for your help

mokotjo

Jun 17, 2021
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Hi there, thanks for sharing the photo's.

My TDK Boombox 3 does not turn on. I just pulled of the Power 'button' and saw one of the wires is loose.
Any idea how to fix this? I do not have a lot of equipment...

I tried if it would turn on if I would just put the cable in the right position, but that is not the case... I think it is still not really connected then.

20210617_151212_2.jpg

dubout

Member (SA)
Nov 19, 2020
Germany
Hi there, thanks for sharing the photo's.

My TDK Boombox 3 does not turn on. I just pulled of the Power 'button' and saw one of the wires is loose.
Any idea how to fix this? I do not have a lot of equipment...

I tried if it would turn on if I would just put the cable in the right position, but that is not the case... I think it is still not really connected then.
I had to fix a plug once. Pull the metal contact from the broken cable out of the plug. Try to find a fitting metal contact (search for 'crimp contact'). Pry and solder the cable to the metal contact and push it back into the plug.

clarkyboy

Jan 12, 2022
All Over UK
Hi there blu_fuz. I have the same problem with mine, I need to replace the volume potentiometer, I have opened my TDK 2 speaker boombox right up. I'm really struggling to find the correct potentiometer online to replace the broken one? do you know any source or website I can find one? thanks so much your advice has been so useful, I really appreciate it!

Last edited:

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I was never able to find one. There are only a few options. You could try and buy a broken TDK and use the knob out of it for yours. The only other thing I could think of is a separate external on/off switch mounted somewhere else on the case and use a standard POT for the volume in place of the original.

Maddog1971

Apr 29, 2022
Ohio
If you have theTDK boom box with the wonky volume pot, use this stuff. Deoxit Fader (green package not the red) two short squirts in the little hole on either side of the pot completely fixed the issue!!!!!!stuff is specifically designed for this issue!!!

Attachments

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Review

She says it lacks deep bass? She's either on drugs, or wasn't using good source material. I tested it against the 3-speaker, and it has better deep bass than the 3-speaker. I think it's because the 2-speaker has a bass port and the 3-speaker doesn't. They did a good job tuning that port to produce low bass. It's a great box for 90s/00s hiphop.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Agree, the 2 speaker has deeper bass than the 3 speaker.

I don't really use mine at all anymore because of the lack of BT function but they really sound nice on the shelf in an office with the computer headphone jack plugged into the RCA input on the TDKs.

My old videos filmed with a potato: