How do they do it?

325addict

Mar 17, 2024
The Netherlands
Just charged all 10 of my Ansmann 10Ah capacity NiMH D-cells and loaded 8 of them into the Sanyo M9994. Then I took a cassette with quite a bad recording on it, admitted, with mostly mid frequencies on it, and I cranked open bass and treble as well. Whoowww... the result? I think I didn't hear that recording in any better quality than on this boombox... it now has at least SOME body, and even quite crisp high frequencies. Trumpets sound like... trumpets and not like some muffled instrument. According to the uploader at YouTube, this is the "Bessere Aufnahme", translated as "the better recording". Seriously? So there has to be a recording that's even worse than this one? Uhh... yes. I found it and I seriously ask: WHY do you upload something like this? You get a bad stomach as well as a headache from that :-(
Then, with loudness on, bass fully open and high also quite an end open, I started to turn up the volume... and higher... and higher... until I had it open half way and my pony tail was blasted straight behind my head ;-)
MAN is that box loud!! With just around 10V as a power supply it is capable of ear-deafening levels... OK, it has 2.5 Ohms speakers, so a relatively low voltage on them makes quite some power, but hey, more than around 5 Watts RMS cannot be extracted from a single-ended power stage under these circumstances... in THEORY when it has ZERO losses and can swing to 0V and 10V respectively. This is NEVER the case, so 3.5 to 4 Watts is more realistic... HOW on earth can it be SOO loud with just that few Watts? The answer must be: high efficiency speakers. No other cause than that :-)

You want a LOT of SPL from your box? Then you can't go wrong with this recording :-)
The music may not be to everyone's taste (I'm 100% sure of that!) and YES, recording quality is still bad, but this makes your neighbours angry, it will be that loud... ;-)

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
Be careful it can be you hearing playing tricks. Human ears actually respond to sound and adjust to give better clarity. My favorite quote is braking in Drivers LOL. The answer is in the quality of the speaker combined with the pre amp /amp.

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
Definitely not my taste in music, lol.
Congrats on your 9994.
I also have one but it only has AM/FM and a midtone button instead of the loudness.
I don't listen to it much and think of selling it now and then.
When I bring it out of storage, it's just so good looking, I can't bring myself to sell it so it goes back into storage.