Hitachi 8600 strange deck issue

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
The issue is with the deck not doing anything when pressing any buttons UNTIL changing the function switch to radio and back to tape.
So I went ahead and removed the function switch and cleaned it internally, along with the black switch latched onto the side (which I believe is the function switching for the deck). I am confident that the switch is fully working.

Checking the voltages to the deck when pressing play provides no voltage but flicking the function switch moves it to 13v before it drops again to 0v. Flicking the switch again does the same again until the deck actually engages. Once engaged, the deck works as it should providing 13v constant.

Checking the schematic and wiring diagram from the library, c602 and c603 are tied to the power going to the deck and I don't think they are aligned to the power for other functions, these were my next call?

On the deck, I have checked the leaf switches with continuity, the main one which engages when play is pressed is working ok, the other 3 switches test out ok too.

Rather than the function switch being the issue, when switched to tape, voltage just drops but I can't see why, so going to need to remove the main board (ball ache) to replace those two caps.

Anyone seen this issue before?

Last edited:

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
I worked on two of mine and never had that problem. The front leaf switch alignment is tricky. One has to open up that front cover under the cassette compartment and tuck in the wires around the leaf switches, or else the deck will go crazy.

Any pics Dave?

~Royce