Gotta replace a speaker on a JVC PC-5JW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumpstermyass

Member (SA)
Jun 3, 2009
Chicagoland, IL, USA!
Hey Folks,

I picked an old Quintet for dirt cheap last month and I noticed that the right speaker is deteriorating (its almost 30 years old)...This boombox sounds absolutely awesome if that channel isn't activated or if the bass isn't up too high, but I have decided that this is worth repairing. Since these are detachable speakers, has anyone had any luck getting one of them open? Also, this is a serious longshot, but I went looking for cone replacement speakers and I found them on 2 sites, but they are not only expensive, but there is a good chance they may not be stocked anymore (thanks Partstore and United Parts!)...Does anyone here know a good place to look for a replacement, or am I better off going to an audio shop with the dead speaker and ask the clerk if he can find/order a replacement? Thanks for your help!

Dumpstermyass

Member (SA)
Jun 3, 2009
Chicagoland, IL, USA!
On a related note, I saw a PC-5 listed on eBay with the same problem, and the thing had a bad tape player belt. The guy was asking 199$ plus shipping! Is this completely ridiculous, or is this a sought-after radio?

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
you can open the speakers by removing the two screws located on the bottom of the speaker just below the woofers ,then just pull the speaker cover away from the cabinet.

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida
sometimes a speaker replacement is the only way if you do not find a parts box and if you are lucky most boxes work even a lot better when you replace the original speaker for a better quality one :yes: :yes: :ninja:

71spud

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
PC-5s can be worth between $30 and $800 depending on alot of different things. Conditions vary wildly with this model. I think that $199 one is overpriced a tad....

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
You need to be patient if your looking for an original type replacement and you need to get the word out.
Replacing with a new speaker is another option that has worked well for many here, I'm sure they can offer some wisdom about what worked or didn't work.

Good luck whatever you decide. :yes:

Superduper

Member (SA)
Sounds like the deterioration you are speaking of is just rotting surrounds. If that is the case, you can refoam the surrounds rather inexpensively and retain the original speaker specs. That is the best way to fix it. Check around for surround refoam kits and give it a try -- you've nothing else to lose.

BTW, if you can't find refoam kits for such small speakers, you can always get them for the next available size and section the foam. At least 1 website shows you how to do that.

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
I have got 3 PC5,one has replacements,and 2 have origonal bass,the 2 with origonal bass,i refoamed,and i`m glad i did..nothing can replace the origonals in my eyes,it totally spoils it when the bass get replaced..if anyone in the UK have any origonals lying around with speaker rott,give them to me,i will keep them and save them..

Dumpstermyass

Member (SA)
Jun 3, 2009
Chicagoland, IL, USA!
Superduper said:
Sounds like the deterioration you are speaking of is just rotting surrounds. If that is the case, you can refoam the surrounds rather inexpensively and retain the original speaker specs. That is the best way to fix it. Check around for surround refoam kits and give it a try -- you've nothing else to lose.

BTW, if you can't find refoam kits for such small speakers, you can always get them for the next available size and section the foam. At least 1 website shows you how to do that.

Thanks Norm! Do you know what the speaker size is? I went on electronix.com and also on studiosoundelectronics.com and they have refoaming kits. Most of the kits are for 6in speakers and up in size, I think the woofers on the PC-5JW are 4 inch, maybe...I just want to find the right stuff to fix this old man...Thanks again!

71spud

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Never used these guys, but they sell kits down to 2". I will have to place an order sometime. I have alot of PC-5 speakers to service. I have refoamed 12" and 10" woofers before. Not that hard, but I also removed the dust cap so I could shim out the cone to make sure it was centered correctly. Let me know if you order from them and how it works out... I will do the same if I get there first...

http://www.speakerworks.com/speaker_repair_kits_s/65.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.