GF-515Z - Idler tyres & belts

Jul 15, 2022
QLD, Australia
Hi all,

Hopefully I'm asking in the right place. I was recently given a Sharp GF-515Z boombox with a tape playback issue that I've tracked down to being deteriorated idler tyres. They are slimy and have seemingly melted on the surface. While I have the transport apart, I figured it's probably wise to do the belts too. I was hoping someone could kindly point me to a reputable source for idler tyres and belts that are suitable for this model.

I've skimmed eBay and found some Chinese sellers claiming to have the appropriate parts but they don't exactly have stellar feedback ratings, and I would prefer to get accurate parts. I am based in Australia but have a MyUS forwarding address I could use if anyone has recommendations in the US that don't ship internationally.

Cheers!

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
You can make you own by sanding down o-rings. Just get a mixed bag and find the ones that fit. Sometimes they can be stretched on as is.

Reactions: 002

Jul 15, 2022
QLD, Australia
@hopey - thanks for that. I relented and ended up buying a set of supposedly compatible o-rings on eBay.
The trouble is that they appear to be not wide enough to make contact with the capstan.

Which leads me to a question:
Is the capstan itself suppose to have its own rubber tyre around it? When re-assembling I noticed that when I pushed the capstan though there was a large amount of black goop caught up inside the cut-out so I assumed maybe the capstan had a tyre around it which makes contact with the idler tyre - is that correct? Or is it meant to be that the idler tyre makes direct contact with the capstan?

Jul 15, 2022
QLD, Australia
Here's the section I'm talking about although I'm sure you already knew.
It's hard to tell in the pic but this is in 'Play' and the tyre is probably about 0.5mm away from the capstan.

EDIT: I found my answer, I am indeed missing a part there; a rubber tyre that goes around the capstan.

Attachments

Last edited:

ACCE55

Sep 30, 2022
romania
Hi all,

Hopefully I'm asking in the right place. I was recently given a Sharp GF-515Z boombox with a tape playback issue that I've tracked down to being deteriorated idler tyres. They are slimy and have seemingly melted on the surface. While I have the transport apart, I figured it's probably wise to do the belts too. I was hoping someone could kindly point me to a reputable source for idler tyres and belts that are suitable for this model.

I've skimmed eBay and found some Chinese sellers claiming to have the appropriate parts but they don't exactly have stellar feedback ratings, and I would prefer to get accurate parts. I am based in Australia but have a MyUS forwarding address I could use if anyone has recommendations in the US that don't ship internationally.

Cheers!
Hi, check here in Portugal! https://webspareparts.com/products/belt-kit-for-cassette-deck-sharp-gf-666?variant=43176445804783
The belt kit is the same for GF555, GF666, GF515

ACCE55

Sep 30, 2022
romania
@hopey - thanks for that. I relented and ended up buying a set of supposedly compatible o-rings on eBay.
The trouble is that they appear to be not wide enough to make contact with the capstan.

Which leads me to a question:
Is the capstan itself suppose to have its own rubber tyre around it? When re-assembling I noticed that when I pushed the capstan though there was a large amount of black goop caught up inside the cut-out so I assumed maybe the capstan had a tyre around it which makes contact with the idler tyre - is that correct? Or is it meant to be that the idler tyre makes direct contact with the capstan?
the capstan had a tyre around it like a tube. Part no. NPLYR0050AFZZ