Found a Toshiba RT-140S

quaddriver

Dec 6, 2012
Vowinckel PA 16260
Its an old 81-82ish amfm auto reverse box. I got it working, even got a belt on it. The auto reverse is in no way automatic. If you have the switch set to tape loop, it hits the end, and stops. I theorize that BOTH play buttons need to be pushed to unlock it, but all it does is hump side to side. Anyone have a line on a blurb from an owners manual on how to operate it?

also, the belt for this, for posterity is a 9.5" square. That $5 30 pack on amazon contains the right size. The routing is: ALL the way around the furthest away capstan flywheel, then the bottom edge UP between the two flywheels and then loop around the motor pulley. there is a plastic stanchion in there to loop the belt on until you get the motor plate on. To put it in simple terms, it looks like a P. Since both flywheels turn always when motor on, and they spin opposite...here ya go.

ALSO, this motor is speed adjustable. the round sticker on the back, pierce it with your 1.5mm-ish common blade and gently poke around. it adjusts up and down *a lot*. now is a good time to get a 1kz tone tape...PXL_20220407_194700358.MP.jpg

Last edited:

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
Nice one, the Auto Reverse is triggered off the Auto stop function so work on fixing auto stop. This maybe on the take up spools.

You don't need a test tape just use a pre-recorded tape in the radio and find a good copy of the song on youtube and sync it.

quaddriver

Dec 6, 2012
Vowinckel PA 16260
it does auto stop just fine...what gets me is that this is not logic, it does have to have keys pushed and locked, so if you pushed one side and it flipped, how does it press THAT key as each key raises the pinch roller for that side ..I can see the logic conflict of both keys down cuz it lowers the heads, flips then raises and the raising would have 2 rollers pinched....thats why Id love to see what the owners manual has to say about this

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
I think you mean the block diagram in the Service Manual. Probably won't help. You may just have to live with it that way.