Fixing a thrift-store SCR-8

sarapathon

Feb 12, 2022
California
I'll post pictures later but I wanted to share a bit on my ongoing project for an SCR-8 I found at the thrift store recently for $16. I first want to say THANK YOU to the Boomboxery forum for having schematics and the manual for this boombox. I'm not sure how I'd have fixed it without those resources This thread was also quite helpful to get started. I had the exact same capacitor (C127) go bad! But that wasn't the end. Probing around on other caps, I found that either C164 or C264 was bad so I replaced both. The voltages around the HA1392 power amplifier were all wrong, too. So I replaced all the caps directly attached to the pins with wrong voltages (I had them on hand) even though I didn't suspect they were bad. Sure enough they were just fine and the voltages remained wrong. So I replaced the HA1392 and now the sound works! I didn't see it right away but I'll share a picture of the old amp IC. There was a significant hole blown out of the face of the IC! I never noticed this until it was removed from the PCB. No wonder it was bad. I wonder if the bad output cap caused the amp to blow but who knows.

At this point I decided that I wanted new speakers for it so I got the cheapest I could find on parts express that would fit the mount (Part no. 299-609). I knew the new speakers would be about 1/2" deeper but I just eyeballed it and decided they would fit. Oops! They do not fit. The left speaker hits the power transformer and bulges out by less than 1/4". Lame. But I have to keep these speakers because they sound soooo much better than the old ones. Much better bass response. I'm considering replacing the tweeters, too, but I decided I'll actually measure out the performance before I do that. So my planned solution is to replace the power supply with a switch-mode power supply I got from Mouser recently (15V, 50W). If nothing else it will remove about 600g of weight! I'll remove some plastic that held the power transformer to fit the SMPS. That's where I am right now, waiting for a Dremel part to be able to do that.

I have done zero testing of the cassette deck. No offense to those who may care but I have zero interest in that working. If it works, fine. If not, also fine. I'm planning on adding a BT module to the AUX line. The FM radio works well. The pots mostly sound fine though a few get scratchy. Maybe I'll clean them later. I also have this jump-starting battery and I'm planning on cutting some of the plastic in the battery bay to fit it in there. It has a 15V output which is perfect for this. I'll use a couple of Schottky diodes to make a power OR gate to protect the supplies from each other. Finally I'm planning on seeing how a PAM8406 would improve efficiency (i.e. battery life). I don't think I'd get much if any more power output but it should be sufficiently powerful. I'll wire out the inputs to the HA1392, remove that IC, and have the PAM8406 module live on the faceplate with the speakers. Just looking at the datasheets of the two, I figure I should be able to save up to 5W that's currently just lost to heat. But I'll measure that out, too.

I'll try to keep this thread updated. I'll also post some pictures, later.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Wow, I just read that thread and had completely forgotten about it, it sounds like I "used" to be pretty smart fella at one time, haha. Those days are gone. Brings back memories. I suggest before you "cut-out" the transformer, that you just disconnect it and try the SMPS and place it near where you intend to install it. Sometimes, SMPS's emit too much electrical noise and it may, or may not be acceptable. It switching noise could telegraph to the audio, or more likely, it could affect your radio, especially the AM band. Once you dremel out the old transformer, you probably can't get it back in place so be sure that switching one will work before you chop it.

sarapathon

Feb 12, 2022
California
That's a good idea. I'll try that first.

Here's a photo of the old amp chip with a hole blown out. I couldn't help but laugh after removing the chip and seeing that gaping hole in it.
ha1392_blown_out.png

sarapathon

Feb 12, 2022
California
It's been a long time but I'm finally at the point where I'm happy with the repairs. (Though there's plenty more to do if I want!)

I replaced the tweeters with Peerless TC5FC00-04 1 1/2" speakers from Parts Express (Part #264-1622). I replaced the 2.2 uF crossover caps with 10 uF NP caps to send a bit more power to those. (A 2.2 uF cap is a 3 dB point of ~18.2kHz for a 4 ohm speaker!) I took out the AUX inputs and soldered in a BT module. Getting rid of the noise from its 15V to 5V DC-DC regulator was a bear. I tried different regulators with no luck. After some study I ended up using a 1W isolated 5V to 5V regulator to get rid of the noise. It was like magic. The 15V SMPS doesn't add noise that I can hear, either in the audio or the radio. The heavier speakers have made up for the lighter power supply and I'm probably about even for total weight. The power supply wired in such a way to keep allowing the DC input to be used or batteries. I did wire the left/right channels backwards, unfortunately. Not a big deal for most music but next time I'm in there with a soldering iron I'll fix it.

As far as "next time" goes, it would be nice to find some AUX jacks with switches to allow BT when the cable is unplugged and to use the cabled audio when a cable is plugged in. I've also found that the FM radio isn't performing as well as I thought. I notice when I'm tuned to a station, then I switch away to tape or aux, then switch back that upon switching back the sound is much clearer and louder and after a few seconds it would sound worse. Probably a bad cap. I originally ordered replacements for all the caps, so I have them, but have been trying to only replace what's needed.

After the fun with 5V on the BT module, I decided a PAM8406 wouldn't be worth the trouble. I do have a PAM8610, which works up to 15V, in case I want to try that. But the replacement for the original power amp is working well for the most part. Sometime if the bass hits hard some middle frequencies get lost. I'm not sure if that's an amp or speaker box problem.

Attachments