Deck motor slow or not running in play mode

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Ok so this one has me stumped. I’m working on 2nd edition TRC931 and have a very clean and well taken care of unit. I have replaced belt on bottom deck and put new pinch roller on. Clean and demagnetized heads. And changed out motor. The issue is when I first got it deck rewinds and FF no issues but in play mode tape would hardly move. The belt and pinch roller looked fine but I cleaned it anyway I tried adjusting motor speed all the way up and still very slow in play mode. I replaced belt and pinch roller and checked voltage at motor, which is about 13.6. The motor is a 9v ccw 2400 rpm. I have a 12v ccw motor which I tried as well with same effect. FF and rewind is no issues. Also without a tape in unit it works great too in play mode. All pulleys and gears seem good with no tension. It’s like there is not enough torque in motor to turn tape. I also tried a couple other tapes with same outcome. So anyone have any ideas? I also have a new motor on way but think there has to be some other issue.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
JVC Floyd said:
I know it sounds stupid but I would check the pause mechanism.
It’s funny you say that cuz I actually checked it and it seems fine but what I tried was to press pause a slight bit and the pinch came up some and it started playing at normal speed. At first I thought maybe pinch roller is to tight against capstan but it works fine without a tape in play mode on speed

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Bill,

Feel the torque you get by slightly grabbing on the tape up reel axle in play mode. Just to see if any of the inner drive wheels are slipping.

Hope the motor got enough torque. I would feel the flywheel and get an idea. Bad commutator brushes can reduce torque.

~Royce

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
BoomboxLover48 said:
Bill,

Feel the torque you get by slightly grabbing on the tape up reel axle in play mode. Just to see if any of the inner drive wheels are slipping.

Hope the motor got enough torque. I would feel the flywheel and get an idea. Bad commutator brushes can reduce torque.

~Royce
I actually tried that as well on both motors. It stops if you squeeze a little harder. It’s really hard to tell but I do have brand new motor on way. Thank you

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Yeah I’m thinking more and more it’s torque from motor and the brand new motor should solve issues but it will be a while before I get motor. I’m also wondering as I have a new ccw dual speed motor 1700/3200 rpm if there is a way to hook it up on only one speed?