Crossover caps?

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
Ok, I'm finishing up my 9994 and noticed the caps on the tweeters are 10uf/16v.
According to the service manual, they should be 4.7uf/25v.
These look to be original and I was going to change them out but am not sure which to use.
It sounds good with the 10s but I'm wondering how the 4.7s would sound since, apparently, that's how it was originally designed.
There's a "modification notice" in the service manual but these caps aren't noted as being modified.
Has anyone ever changed these out or have any information on this?
Does anyone have a radio with 4.7 caps and if so, how does it sound?
Thanks.

Superduper

Member (SA)
By all accounts, most everyone agrees that the M9994 is a good sounding boombox. The 4.7uf crossover cap is probably the correct cap & the one that is in yours might have been changed at one point. Just because it looks original doesn't mean that it is. In my opinion, crossing them at 10uf might transfer too much lows to the tweeters. As for how do they sound compared to yours.... how do we describe? In almost all cases, the difference is subtle enough that one would have to A/B them in order to tell. Still, even if they sound good with 10's, you should still consider that excessive lows could damage those drivers and replacements will be hard to find, especially with chrome caps. Modern drivers these days, even if a one with same specs/size can be found are almost never offered with chrome dust caps anymore. The 6.5" drivers used in it are basically full range drivers anyhow and the tweeters really only provide the sizzle.

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
Yeah, my question about the sound wasn't worded very well.
I was questioning if someone had 10s (if they were installed from the factory that way) and replaced them with 4.7s, how much of a difference there was.
After originally finding the discrepancy, I did some research on crossover caps since I didn't really know much and arrived at pretty much the same conclusion as you, the 4.7s should be the better choice.
At first, I thought maybe they were replaced being Rubycon caps instead of Sanyos but then I thought that possibly Sanyo didn't make this value in bipolar caps.
If these were replaced, whoever did it did an excellent job of making them look factory right down to the brown glue adhering them to the speakers.
I'll Include a couple pics of the 10s.
I'm going to buy some 4.7s to replace them.
Thanks.

Attachments

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
Just an update in case someone else runs into this in the future.
I got my capacitors yesterday and soldered them onto the woofers similar to an M90.
I bought some Panasonic 4.7uf 250v polypropylene caps.
I removed the two 10uf caps from the tweeters and soldered the positive wires onto the positive speaker terminals.
Again, like on an M90, I glued the 4.7s to the woofer magnets and let it sit overnight.
I tried it out today and the tweeters are sounding great with lots of treble.

Attachments