CFS-99 Left Channel Gone On Tape Deck Only

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Ok, so the left channel uses through hole variable resistors to manage the output while the right channel uses a static series of resistors.
There is a 500 ohm (RV307) VR for the deck left channel and a 5k ohm (RV308) VR for the left VU meter.

In my case, both of these were dead but if the left VU does not work on deck only then it is likely to be the decks left channel variable resistor RV307. If the left VU doesn't work at all, then the RV308 may be dead, or both could be shot.

They are both located on the main amp board beneath the deck, the VU is located close to where the VU leads attach to the board and the deck one is located to the right of the deck and can be seen without removing the deck. (See above pictures for RV307).

To test, simply put an ohm test across the two ends to see it's resistance. Mine both showed no reading (OL).
Replacing these should resolve this specific issue.

My unit (and has been alluded to earlier in the thread) has additional related issues whereby the balance does not affect the output properly. I think that the issue is related to the bass slider but it needs taking out the board to be sure. It looks to me like these are very common issues on this unit and to be honest, is a massive pain to resolve.
In addition to this, the deck is a mare, after taking it apart and replacing belts, I have an issue with the placement of the cassette and audio output, perhaps a sensor issue?

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Any help appreciated on trying to resolve this deck issue,
Cassette plays but audio stops after a second while the tape continues to turn?
If I manually move the cassette in the caddy there is a sweet spot which makes it work but its not naturally sitting in that position *cry*

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Any help appreciated on trying to resolve this deck issue,
Cassette plays but audio stops after a second while the tape continues to turn?
If I manually move the cassette in the caddy there is a sweet spot which makes it work but its not naturally sitting in that position *cry*
Somehow the tape is not making a good contact with the head. It initially gets there and jumps slightly back afterwards. I would check the head advance and engage section and path with the tape, to see if it is all the way reaching and locking in place. Just a thought!
~Royce

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Check your solder joints on the head itself also double check basic functions of the deck like the leaf switches they control the engagement and disengagement of sound coming from the deck.