Can you add an amp & passive subwoofer to the line out on Sharp 777?

atarijen

Member (SA)
Mar 11, 2021
usa
Has someone connected an amplifier and passive subwoofer to the line out? Only see posts using a powered subwoofer. Please confirm this will work. Thanks!

AE_Stereo

Member (SA)
Apr 24, 2012
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Yes. You can, but not with Line-out, but using the Woofer out itself.
GF-777 has separate speaker outs for the Main Speaker and the Subwoofer.
When you use the Woofer out, you don't have to add an amplifier. Simply connect it to the passive sub.
Actually it need not be a subwoofer even.
It works beautifully with any speaker with a woofer, even a 3 way speaker also. I have been using speakers that come with Kenwood Midi systems like UD-952 (Speaker model LS-E9), S-8M etc..
To be safe, make sure the speaker impedance is between 4 to 8 ohms.

The problem with Line-out is, it is fixed level signal, irrespective of the Speaker volume level. Means the Woofer input will be always constant, and will not change with volume level of the unit.
GF-777 has the Woofer out itself. So use it straight away. And the subwoofer level can be controlled using the knob on the subwoofer also - from 0 to 100%.

I am now using a Powered Subwoofer on the woofer out with the help of a simple attenuator. The best sound experience from a boombox!
Sharp GF-777 Speaker out m.JPG

atarijen

Member (SA)
Mar 11, 2021
usa
When you use the Woofer out, you don't have to add an amplifier. Simply connect it to the passive sub.
It works beautifully with any speaker with a woofer, even a 3 way speaker also. I have been using speakers that come with Kenwood Midi systems like UD-952 (Speaker model LS-E9), S-8M etc..

The problem with Line-out is, it is fixed level signal, irrespective of the Speaker volume level. Means the Woofer input will be always constant, and will not change with volume level of the unit.
GF-777 has the Woofer out itself. So use it straight away. And the subwoofer level can be controlled using the knob on the subwoofer also - from 0 to 100%.

I am now using a Powered Subwoofer on the woofer out with the help of a simple attenuator. The best sound experience from a boombox!
View attachment 51780
Thank you! Very helpful. But would I be able to use an amp and passive subwoofer? Or only passive amp? Concerned that the sub may need more power

atarijen

Member (SA)
Mar 11, 2021
usa

View attachment 51780
Would there be enough power for a 10" passive sub? An amp would also allow volume adjustment. Not enough room in my workspace to safely use a powered sub

AE_Stereo

Member (SA)
Apr 24, 2012
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Yes. Just give a try. Doesn't cost anything other than a proper plug and wire.
What matters is only the impedance. Do not go for anything lower than 4 ohms.

atarijen

Member (SA)
Mar 11, 2021
usa
Yes. Just give a try. Doesn't cost anything other than a proper plug and wire.
What matters is only the impedance. Do not go for anything lower than 4 ohms.
This is sounding too good to be true. The sub is 300 Watt RMS in 4 or 8 ohm. I would like to try if it wouldn't damage the 777. Still don't know if amp can be be plugged into the super woofer out before connecting to a passive sub. Thanks for all your help

AE_Stereo

Member (SA)
Apr 24, 2012
Abu Dhabi, UAE
This is sounding too good to be true. The sub is 300 Watt RMS in 4 or 8 ohm. I would like to try if it wouldn't damage the 777. Still don't know if amp can be be plugged into the super woofer out before connecting to a passive sub. Thanks for all your help
The subwoofer out is nothing but a direct parallel connection of the two subwoofer speakers (middle two speakers) of the GF-777 to the outside, with a cut-off switch to the internal speakers when the external one is plugged in. You can't connect it to an amp directly, without an Attenuator (I have done that also!).

With my meagre/humble knowledge of electronics:
300W RMS means 25 Amperes of 12V current. You need a jumper wire to take that much current! Looks to be a gimmick.
Connecting a higher power rated speaker will not damage an amp. Only the sound level will be very low.
What matters is the Ohms. If you connect an amp to a lower impedance speaker, more current will flow which will damage the amp.
Give a try, starting with both main Volume control and Subwoofer level control at 0. Gradually increase then.
The amp will not blow up at 0 to 50% sound level!

atarijen

Member (SA)
Mar 11, 2021
usa
Awesome! Glad to hear it shuts off the onboard "woofer" speakers. I will try just the passive sub plugged in first. Which attenuators would you suggest? :D

atarijen

Member (SA)
Mar 11, 2021
usa
The subwoofer out is nothing but a direct parallel connection of the two subwoofer speakers (middle two speakers) of the GF-777 to the outside, with a cut-off switch to the internal speakers when the external one is plugged in. You can't connect it to an amp directly, without an Attenuator (I have done that also!).

With my meagre/humble knowledge of electronics:
300W RMS means 25 Amperes of 12V current. You need a jumper wire to take that much current! Looks to be a gimmick.
Connecting a higher power rated speaker will not damage an amp. Only the sound level will be very low.
What matters is the Ohms. If you connect an amp to a lower impedance speaker, more current will flow which will damage the amp.
Give a try, starting with both main Volume control and Subwoofer level control at 0. Gradually increase then.
The amp will not blow up at 0 to 50% sound level!
The 10" passive sub works well with bass turned up all the way. Why is an attenuator necessary to connect to an amp? Wouldn't and amp > passive sub be the same as a powered sub? It could use a bit more power so I might buy a compact amp to lessen the load on the boombox

atarijen

Member (SA)
Mar 11, 2021
usa
Why not? If you have room for a passive sub, you have room for an active one. There are several flat ones that fit under a couch.

It's a small shop. Active amp against wall is fire hazard and not enough clearance. May I have a link to decent attenuator? Why necessary? Thanks DSC_4561.JPG