Boombox cosmetics

DustyK47

Member (SA)
Apr 11, 2024
California
A couple of questions to ones that restore silver boomboxes:

Do you leave the scuffs and scrapes?

If you touch up the silver finish, what techniques and paint do you use for an accurate match to remove or at least blend in the aforementioned scuffs and scrapes if a complete repaint is not feasible or practical?

BoxBeats

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2022
Salinas, CA
I’ve attempted in the past to touch up a silver box (GE 3-5259A) with grey and chrome like paint but never was successful at making it match too good. The most I do for all my silver boxes is to give them a good wash with a dove soap mixture and for stubborn grease I‘ll use a Mister Clean Magic Eraser. Sometimes the war scars on certain boxes looks cool.

Reactions: dubout and DustyK47

DustyK47

Member (SA)
Apr 11, 2024
California
I’ve attempted in the past to touch up a silver box (GE 3-5259A) with grey and chrome like paint but never was successful at making it match too good. The most I do for all my silver boxes is to give them a good wash with a dove soap mixture and for stubborn grease I‘ll use a Mister Clean Magic Eraser. Sometimes the war scars on certain boxes looks cool.
Good info, thank you for replying!

Reactions: BoxBeats

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
I had to touch up part of my Clairtone 7979 because of an incident.
I used a can of SEM paint that I had from the interior trim of my car.
It's almost an exact match, not many people would be able to tell the touched up part.
If it wasn't so wrapped up and stored away, I'd take some pics but I'm too lazy.
Some different box colors have been discussed on here in the past like THIS one that just popped up.
If you have small scratches or nicks, like on car paint, a thin small brush will work.
If you have to spray, tape off beyond the area and give quick glancing sprays to try and blend into the original paint.
Usually I just leave them alone unless they really take away from the looks like on my 7979.

Reactions: DustyK47