Boombox and the City - Da Buk

samovar

Member (SA)
Jun 7, 2014
Italy
Time is a variable that I handle badly. The event referred to in the first half of the title of this post took place in 2018 and saw the active presence on site of two beloved members of this community, docs and Lasonic TRC 920, They animated the Boombox Walk event. It took some time before the experience became a book. It has just been published, but it's much more than the catalogue of the 2018 exhibition, which is documented here:

The volume, in black and white, has various sections, each preceded by a joint Introduction written by myself and co-author, a urbanist and a boombox lover. One describes the interdisciplinary experience that in 2015 I undertook in collaboration with him in our respective universities. Another documents the exhibition and the four collateral events that took place in Catania six years ago. However, Boombox and the City is mainly a collection of essays. which develop the topics dealt with in one of the 2018 events: the round table entitled Radio-Active. Urban Space in Motion, featuring myself, co-author, and two scholars of Cultural Studies and Design and Technology. The postface is signed by an illustrator who holds a PhD in architecture and is a boombox enthusiast. Last but not least, the book has a sixteen-pages signature in color. It collects photos - by a professional photographer, myself and co-editor - of units from my collection in the slums of Catania. We couldn't help naming this bonus section Boombox and Graffiti.

Despite its academic background, the volume is written in a very accessible style, the goal being that of coupling research with maximum dissemination. In order to reach a wider audience, the book is a bilingual edition, Italian and English. Among the texts that accompany the black and white images, you can find testimonies from docs and Lasonic TRC 920, and notes by people who contributed to the four events: the French-Italian performer hhybrydd (with his Laid Bare installation and performance) and the singers -- my students, two of them, Reiwa and Gemma, are now professionals and commute on a regular basis between Italy and the UK -- that closed the exhibition with their Out of the Box concert.

For those interested in getting a copy, Boombox and the City can be found here:

Boombox and the City.jpg

Brutus442

Member (SA)
Jan 7, 2012
Toronto, Canada
The Cantanian kid returns as a published author about boomboxes? Count me in!!!

Now about the Pulitzer nominations.......

EDIT. Sal it appears it won't accept Canada as a shipping destination. Am I doing something wrong?

Reactions: samovar