Anyone know about Magnasonic?

probnot

Jan 10, 2019
I picked this up recently (CPS 923), as it looked like a clone of a JVC I had years ago (PC-11).

Would this have just been rebranded JVC, or like a clone or knock-off? It definitely sounds as good as I remember, but the controls and masking on the front feel cheaper than I remember.

On the upside, everything is there (cabling, back cover, handle, etc). Downside was someone left D batteries in it for possibly decades, and it took a LOT of cleaning to remove all the rust/leakage.

Cassette deck works flawlessly (just needed the head adjusted and a cleaning). Radio works great and is really strong in both bands, but FM stereo seems out of alignment (just get a distorted sound as it seems to lock onto Stereo with the music).

CPS_923.jpg
CPS_923(2).jpg
CPS_923(3).jpg

probnot

Jan 10, 2019
It's actually just a cover for all the cables on the back. The bottom part with the cassette deck also has the batteries, so there's 2 power cables - one to provide battery power to the amp/tuner, and one to provide ac-source power to the cassette deck. Also RCA cables to play/rec to the cassette deck.

WIi9aOS.jpg

Images I found of the PC-11 rear:
tiki-download_file.jpg
jvc_pc_-_11w_back_small_745.jpg

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
there is another like this, i think it's called a vector research but i can't remember, another member oldschool had one

never heard of this make before but i bet it has jvc parts inside

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
probnot said:
It's actually just a cover for all the cables on the back. The bottom part with the cassette deck also has the batteries, so there's 2 power cables - one to provide battery power to the amp/tuner, and one to provide ac-source power to the cassette deck. Also RCA cables to play/rec to the cassette deck.

WIi9aOS.jpg

Images I found of the PC-11 rear:
tiki-download_file.jpg
jvc_pc_-_11w_back_small_745.jpg
Thats a trip, but I can see why you would want that cover. Better than all those wires hanging out all over the place.

Cool box

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
Obviously its a JVC AKA with minor variations in options switches etc. Even the speaker cabinets are exactly alike, the vents in the back & top, as is the chassis...

pretty cool...

probnot

Jan 10, 2019
retro said:
Here's one, the red rings are a nice touch IMHO.
Wow, that is almost identical with another name on it. Only difference is mine has some amber LEDs in the VU meter. Those red accents are pretty sweet.

Now I just need to tackle the FM stereo problem.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
JustCruisin said:
I heard that back in the day Magnavox and Panasonic had a "summer fling"..
This Magnasonic must be their love child!
:lol: I guess they decided to not call it the Panavox :-P

probnot

Jan 10, 2019
Transistorized said:
I heard that back in the day Magnavox and Panasonic had a "summer fling"..
This Magnasonic must be their love child!
:lol: I guess they decided to not call it the Panavox :-P
I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see one!

tsyrjanen

Mar 30, 2024
Saskatchewan
I had one of these back in the late 80's. I bought it at my local Woolco store in Prince Albert Saskatchewan, so it possibly could be a chain store exclusive? BUT I loved it!! And I'd love to get another one!