AIWA TPR-950 DIN Connector

Hisrudeness

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2014
South East London UK
It’s one or the other but I forget which one.
Unfortunately smartphones and tablets etc sound lousy through the Din connector.
There are versions of this box with the proper RCA’s that would be more suitable.
An FM transmitter is the best way without butchering the box.

Demonfinder

Member (SA)
Feb 27, 2021
U.K
Hi Scooper ,
I have one of these models and recently bought a great little gadget on Amazon..it`s a modified cassette which you pop in and has a lead which fits into the headphone jck of my old Sony walkman MP3 player.
Sounds good and the lead is slim enough to shut the cassette door during play back with the MP£ plugged in ...cost about £6.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Hi Scooper ,
I have one of these models and recently bought a great little gadget on Amazon..it`s a modified cassette which you pop in and has a lead which fits into the headphone jck of my old Sony walkman MP3 player.
Sounds good and the lead is slim enough to shut the cassette door during play back with the MP£ plugged in ...cost about £6.
I agree!. One piece of advice spend a few extra dollars on a high quality cassette adapter I found that Sony makes one of the best around.

Reactions: Hisrudeness

Demonfinder

Member (SA)
Feb 27, 2021
U.K
I will look out for athe Sony version..the one I bought does the job but gives a background noise to the output.
Better outcome than I expected though as it was only a cheap version

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
the Sony cassette adapter I use came from an old 1980s Sony CD walkman with a cassette adapter.
the difference in the sound is night and day compared to these newer ones there's no hiss or electrical noise or any of that.

Demonfinder

Member (SA)
Feb 27, 2021
U.K
I did a brief Google for the Sony version earlier but none seem to be currently available :0(
The one I have is by a a brand I`ve never heard of : Iomah
I can`t really fault it for the price but there is some fairly low level background noise when in use -which ideally I`d like to eliminate with a better quality version.
It certainly adds to the versatility of the old boomboxes though and avoids having to carry a whole caseload of cassettes about if you want a good few hours playing time.
The cable on mine is slim enough to allow the cassette door to close too which helps keep and dust or water out .

fyj2972

Member (SA)
Nov 29, 2011
california, usa
European Version AIWA TPR-950E Line input modification hint:

Inside of box
Using its existing Phono input DIN socket as line-in interface is the best way, all you need to do is By-pass internal RIAA phone amp stage.

Outside o box
You may need an additional pair of RCA female or 3.5MM stereo plug to 5 pin male DIN (to 950 phono female input) cable.

How to use
Switch to phono and connect to your IPHONE IPOD with 3.5MM cable or connect to your RCA type source with RCA cable

No ugly hole , no who-knows switch, how do you like it? :clap:

Diagram shows one chanel only, you need to do both channels.

Attachments

Last edited:

fyj2972

Member (SA)
Nov 29, 2011
california, usa
It’s one or the other but I forget which one.
Unfortunately smartphones and tablets etc sound lousy through the Din connector.
There are versions of this box with the proper RCA’s that would be more suitable.
An FM transmitter is the best way without butchering the box.
Because TPR-950E DIN input is for microphone low level signal , not for high level 1V P-P line signal. You will get huge distortion when you feed line signal to microphone inputs