Add bass to Hitachi TRK-9100

Kees010NL

Sep 24, 2023
Netherlands
Hello everyone!
Last week i bought a minty Hitachi TRK-9100. I have had many and many boomboxes but I weirdly seemed to prefer this one over the 9150W I had haha.. (talking about the looks)

Thanks to a topic on this site i was easily able to change the belts (lill’ bit different from the Tanashin mech’s seen om most boomboxes) on this unit and it works like a charm now! Low W&F, great recording via Line-In. Almost as good as recordings done with my Sony LBT-D505 stereo set. And this thing is nicely loud for its size and being not a high-end model.

The only thing however that I’d love to change about this ghettoblaster is the bass response. It has white 12cm woofers (2.8ohm and 3W, Max 5W). (God knows why they chose white, because it looks dirty brown with the black speaker grills in front ) However.. They seemed kinda stiff. So I tried replacing them with the ones from my Panasonic RX-CT800. But soon after that I went back soldering the original speakers back… Those sounded actually worse with even less bass haha

So i thought about making a bass port or adding a Passive Radiator on the back of the speakers.. But i read online that you have to meassure and calculate stuff.. Meassure i can but calculating is like AbraCaDabra for me haha. Or maybe just upgrade the woofers? In anyway Im not all too well teached about what to do with speakers. So I hope you can help me out!!

Sorry if there are any or many language mistakes. Haha Also please let me know if I e.g. need to upload any photos of the boombox.

Greetings from Holland!

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
I don't think the Panasonic was made for great bass either.
I would just get some modern speakers from Ebay or Parts Express.
Yes you could add a port or passive radiator, but then you'd have to cut into the case which destroys its value.
Try adding some acoustic fiber fill. Hitachi speakers are usually stuffed with cheap yellow foam instead of real acoustic fiber.

Wes125

Member (SA)
Aug 9, 2021
Uk
i have one of these boxes. i replaced the speakers with these from a smaller hitachi. it now sounds good with loads of volume

Attachments