A good cassette deck... needed for that perfect, crystal clear, powerful sound!

325addict

Mar 17, 2024
The Netherlands
To make your box really stand out, load a cassette that was recorded on a really good cassette deck, with settings matching the capabilities of your boombox. It doesn't have Dolby? Then switch it off on your recording deck too! Make a dedicated tape, specially for your boombox. Take a 60 minutes tape for durability. A mixtape is great fun to make, and is never boring as long as you combine all genres of music you like on that tape. I use either a Nakamichi CR-7E, a Revox B-710 or a Kenwood KX-9010 to make these tapes. Use a high quality tape, preferably a good type 2 or even of high end type 1 tape (Sony HF-S or HF-ES, Maxell XL-I). Does your boombox lack bass? Then, seriously use a type ONE tape... and be surprised how much bass these will take. Drive the tape as hard as you can, don't be afraid to go far into the red zone, as long as no distortion or compression is heard, it's all OK! This makes tape hiss a lot less audible, especially when you don't use Dolby. Good type 1 tapes will take as much as +8dB, good type 2 tapes will handle up to +6dB. On any 3-head deck you can judge the quality of your recording by switching between tape and source. Make some test-recordings to find out HOW hard you can drive a certain cassette. On its way is a new cassette deck... a Tandberg TCD-3014A. This should be, according to those who can know it, be a "Nak killer". I will definitely come back on this, as a really good recording is SOO important. It can make or break your experience with your boombox...
IMG_7371.JPG

goodman

Member (SA)
Jun 14, 2011
Bulgaria
The different types of tapes (1, 2, 4 type) are recorded with different levels.
When recording at a louder than recommended level the sound is distorted.
For type 1, the maximum level is about +3 dB.

Hajidub

Member (SA)
May 16, 2018
Colorado Springs
To make your box really stand out, load a cassette that was recorded on a really good cassette deck, with settings matching the capabilities of your boombox. It doesn't have Dolby? Then switch it off on your recording deck too! Make a dedicated tape, specially for your boombox. Take a 60 minutes tape for durability. A mixtape is great fun to make, and is never boring as long as you combine all genres of music you like on that tape. I use either a Nakamichi CR-7E, a Revox B-710 or a Kenwood KX-9010 to make these tapes. Use a high quality tape, preferably a good type 2 or even of high end type 1 tape (Sony HF-S or HF-ES, Maxell XL-I). Does your boombox lack bass? Then, seriously use a type ONE tape... and be surprised how much bass these will take. Drive the tape as hard as you can, don't be afraid to go far into the red zone, as long as no distortion or compression is heard, it's all OK! This makes tape hiss a lot less audible, especially when you don't use Dolby. Good type 1 tapes will take as much as +8dB, good type 2 tapes will handle up to +6dB. On any 3-head deck you can judge the quality of your recording by switching between tape and source. Make some test-recordings to find out HOW hard you can drive a certain cassette. On its way is a new cassette deck... a Tandberg TCD-3014A. This should be, according to those who can know it, be a "Nak killer". I will definitely come back on this, as a really good recording is SOO important. It can make or break your experience with your boombox...
View attachment 58335
I use a professionally refurbed BX-300, I would definitely not kick a CR-7 out of bed; along with the ZX-7/9 the CR-7 is a holy grail of recording.

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
I have been playing my metal tapes recorded 30years ago on mini boxes and it blows the roof off. (Technics hx pro Dolby c @8db)

Reactions: Hajidub

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
i had my GF535 out last week and experimenting Recording with Tapes, i tried a TDK AR90, it recorded ok but a little flat. Then i tried a BASF Super II 90, i wasn't very keen on that neither, i tried a Memorex ( can't recall the model, the tapes downstairs) it was ok but not great, i had the best result with a TDK SA90, well that's what tape my sharp was most comfortable with, but i think these things are weird, one radio (or cassette deck) will work better with a certain tape, and others won't like that tape, but will work better with a different brand of tape. That's why i stick to my Bluetooth cassette adaptor, that avoids all the confusion lol.. i do like to play tapes though sometimes, but it's very rare that i do due to the reasons mentioned..

Hajidub

Member (SA)
May 16, 2018
Colorado Springs
i had my GF535 out last week and experimenting Recording with Tapes, i tried a TDK AR90, it recorded ok but a little flat. Then i tried a BASF Super II 90, i wasn't very keen on that neither, i tried a Memorex ( can't recall the model, the tapes downstairs) it was ok but not great, i had the best result with a TDK SA90, well that's what tape my sharp was most comfortable with, but i think these things are weird, one radio (or cassette deck) will work better with a certain tape, and others won't like that tape, but will work better with a different brand of tape. That's why i stick to my Bluetooth cassette adaptor, that avoids all the confusion lol.. i do like to play tapes though sometimes, but it's very rare that i do due to the reasons mentioned..
Could be mistaken, but I think many of decks, stand-alone and boomers, were calibrated with TDK SA90's back in the day.