7980 tape deck issues

Jimdanewf

Member (SA)
Dec 17, 2018
Just installed new belts and cleaning. When I play tape in deck 1, left wheel spins tape but right wheel won't turn, causing tape to spool loose. Rewind and FF works fine, in FF right wheel spins perfectly. Also deck 2 sounds terrible, lots of static, barely hear the recording.
Any suggestions? Pretty sure I got the belts installed properly. I also want to thank this site and its members for the info I gleaned in the restoration. Would never have attempted this without you!

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
The right reel relies on a spring to keep it engaged during playback. Try adding a little extra upward force with your finger at the spot in the photo, while it's playing. If it doesn't change anything then it's something else like bad belt routing. If it does start to spin, take that spring out and bend it a little so the angle is wider, so it gives more force when you put it back in. This fixed a deck I worked on once.

I had buzzing on an upper deck once and it turned out to be a blown capacitor strapped to the rear part of it, it's hard to miss, it's the largest capacitor on it, 100uF. Pretty sure it hangs across the motor to kill noise from it.

Jimdanewf

Member (SA)
Dec 17, 2018
Followed your advise regarding spring, put it back together and it works perfect! Thank you so much! Gonna get s new cap and try that. Thanks again!