1973 Zenith Trans-Oceanic D7000Y takes a sleep cycle every occasion.

Madadh

Member (SA)
Jun 2, 2020
Camas/Vancouver, WA
Yes, you read that correct.

My Zenith T/O D7000Y had been running perfectly fine these past several months, until earlier this January.

I was listening to an AM station on Broadcast, with my AKG/Samsung earbuds plugged in, when all of a sudden all audio cuts out. No static, no stations, no nothing. Just amplifier hiss when the volume is cranked wide open.

As far as I know, it's not the Headphone Jack that's open, cause I can hear the remains of pops and hiss from the internal full-range driver.

I've sprayed all of the transistors' sockets & transistors themselves with Deoxit D5, to no dice. The batteries check good as well...current draw of this beast is a whopping 30mA (0.030A). Operation on AC leaves no difference as this radio is designed to run on batteries, and has a power transformer and rectifier inside.

As far as I know, this device will remain dormant from a couple days, to a few hours, depending on how often it was used and the length of time it was used for. For example I can turn the radio on and it wakes up instantly without issue, play with it for a few minutes, and then turn it off. Then an hour or two passes by, and I go to fiddle with it again...this time it's dead silent aside from amplifier hiss and the typical pops when switching between bands and the switch-on control knobs.

I have made a recording to demonstrate this, which during the recording...surprise surprise, the radio proceeds to wake the f**k up without warning and startles the bajesus out of me :lol: and then it craps out on me for the umpteenth time as I operate the Bandswitch (not that it's the culprit, as it was never noisy in the first place). So, have at it: https://photos.app.goo.gl/RYu1w14AXBuwkzCPA

AK members have been thinking that it could be a cold or flaky solder joint somewhere, as do I...but I'm not 100% on that.

Perhaps some of you have an idea on what it could be?

Edit: apparently I didn't notice this before but, when I cranked the output wide open and put my phone against the grille, I could hear faint voices. This radio has never been recapped, so....

Last edited: