Sanyo M-x920 Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

martimagico

Member (SA)
Apr 29, 2011
Cen Cal
hey guys im a newb here and started collecting aggressively last month. fortunately this was one of my first scores, mine is in decent shape with a few cosmetic flaws but i already love it more than any other. My question for you guys is on the tape deck. it seems to not have mechanical linkage from the buttons, and to be all electronically controlled. unfortunately mine is not responsive. any ideas? i've read up on a few other models and they mentioned belts when you hear the motor, but there is no indication or motor noise. the amss led#1 lights and stays lit when the stereo is switched over to tape, but nothing else happens when you start pressing buttons.
i also have a burnt out dial bulb i believe. how does the dial for the light work?

thanks!

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
This deck is automatic control when motor turns so most likely needs a good cleaning and rebelt all of which is not an easy task for this model. Good luck and ask questions and take lots of pictures if you decide to work on it :thumbsup:

martimagico

Member (SA)
Apr 29, 2011
Cen Cal
:huh:

im not sure im willing to kill this box. it'd be a shame. i might take it to the local repair shop, but dont wanna overpay or end up getting ripped off.
i have a jvc biphonic that needs some love too, that one is less intimidating maybe i should ease on in?

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
martimagico said:
... that one is less intimidating maybe i should ease on in?
Opening up a boombox can be a little intimidating the first time. Everything will be fine as long as you take your time and document everything you do - either with pictures or some kind of small notepad. Pretty soon, you'll be able to do most of them blindfolded. :yes:

You might want to PM monchito about the 920 cassette keys. He has experience working on the 720, which has the same kind of electronic activation on the keys.

martimagico

Member (SA)
Apr 29, 2011
Cen Cal
so I finally manned up and bought the 3 belt kit for the mech. I took it apart and I cleaned and lubed it all up. I still have 2 problems.

1. stop wont complete a full revolution to put the mech into a ready state. the bottom cog where the actuating lever is gets too much resistance at the highest point and sticks a few mm away from the reset position. if I play with the buttons it will free up. its only during stop. pause completes the same revolution with no issues.

2. the planetary cog that transfers power to the capstans for ffwd and rewind has a rubber "tire" on it I would call it a belt but it only wraps that on wheel. anyway that rubber wheel is deteriorated into pieces. it looks like a square belt, but I cant find any replacement part numbers or even mention in the repair manual.

sorry for my lack of proper lingo on part names but im not a full on cassette repair guy yet, as i've only done like 8 or so.
this on is by far the biggest bitch so im trying to get everything just right before reassembly. even doing a dual sided green led mod on the dial with a white led meter backlight.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Your issue with the stop is usually the main cog getting stuck. I've seen this happen on many full auto sanyo decks and usually cleaning and a small dab of lithium grease helps solve issue. There is an armature that rides in between channel that gets stuck. Here is piece I'm speaking of. Where blue arrow is but arm is bottom side. Also make sure to clean all tires and wheels real good as seen in other pic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.