Realistic SCR 8 battery issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindstate612

Member (SA)
Feb 26, 2011
Minneapolis
So I went to get this baby ready for the boomboxin' season coming up soon. I picked up some rechargeable energizer D batteries, and suddenly learned that my box won't power up with batteries alone. :'-( So I noticed a minor amount of corrosion on the contacts and smoothed them out lightly with the dremel.... still no power :sad: Any ideas why this would be happening? This box is in excellent condition otherwise and works perfectly plugged into the wall. I appreciate your time fellas

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
does it have ab ac / dc switch on the back ? another thing you can check is the small flap inside where you put the cord into the box sometimes they get stuck and wont switch over from ac to dc power.

also i would double check too see if those batteries were fully charged when you put them in .

mindstate612

Member (SA)
Feb 26, 2011
Minneapolis
it does not have an ac/dc switch. here are the pics of the battery connections, they look adequate to me... tell me if I'm wrong. Now that you've mentioned it, I noticed a small little switch that presses in when you plug in the AC, and it releases when i unplug it. When I manually press in the switch and release it when the batteries are in , I hear a small pop of the speakers. So I'm guessing this is how it switches to batteries when it's unplugged. Any suggestions how to remedy this issue? Your answers are appreciated. :-)

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
mindstate612 said:
it does not have an ac/dc switch. here are the pics of the battery connections, they look adequate to me... tell me if I'm wrong. Now that you've mentioned it, I noticed a small little switch that presses in when you plug in the AC, and it releases when i unplug it. When I manually press in the switch and release it when the batteries are in , I hear a small pop of the speakers. So I'm guessing this is how it switches to batteries when it's unplugged. Any suggestions how to remedy this issue? Your answers are appreciated. :-)

[ Image ]

[ Image ]
The switch in the socket shuts ac power and allows dc power (batteries) to take over so the switch may be dirty or corroded causing loss of battery power...1st does ac power work if so you can try regular d cell batteries if they fail then the switch needs to be cleaned..You can try to get some spray deoxit from electronics store and spraying switch then work the switch by plugging cord into socket of bbx and removing 30 or more times...After you have exhausted this and its still unworkable you can try back to go further ;-) :thumbsup:

mindstate612

Member (SA)
Feb 26, 2011
Minneapolis
Thanks for all the help :yes: One more question before I go out and buy regular non-rechargeable batteries..... Do some of these older boxes not work with rechargeable batteries? I just made the switch over to the rechargeable ones recently, I figured that they made them pretty decent by now.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
mindstate612 said:
Thanks for all the help :yes: One more question before I go out and buy regular non-rechargeable batteries..... Do some of these older boxes not work with rechargeable batteries? I just made the switch over to the rechargeable ones recently, I figured that they made them pretty decent by now.
I HAVE USED RECHARGEABLES IN THE 80'S WITH MY BBX'S WITH NO PROBLEMS... EITHER THE BATTERIES ARE NOT TAKING A CHARGE OR THE SWITCH IS NOT WORKING... YOU CAN ALSO TEST YOUR RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES :hmmm:

mindstate612

Member (SA)
Feb 26, 2011
Minneapolis
So I gave it a try with brand new regular batteries.... no luck , I also made sure that my rechargeable batteries were fully charged when I tested them in the Boombox... still no luck. I sprayed some Deoxit on the switch in the ac socket of the box and have been working it for the past couple of days... still nothing :sadno:

I tried getting inside the box to spray the inside of the socket switch an was not able to get the face completely off. The tape deck door is slightly bigger then then the opening on the face of the box. I stared it down for a little while trying to figure it out. I was puzzled :huh: I removed the clear widow on the tape deck door and it was still bigger then the opening. I'm sure somebody on here knows how to get the face off the box.

I'm not giving up on this box.... I'm determined that this box will indeed play with batteries only someday :super:

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
mindstate612 said:
So I gave it a try with brand new regular batteries.... no luck , I also made sure that my rechargeable batteries were fully charged when I tested them in the Boombox... still no luck. I sprayed some Deoxit on the switch in the ac socket of the box and have been working it for the past couple of days... still nothing :sadno:

I tried getting inside the box to spray the inside of the socket switch an was not able to get the face completely off. The tape deck door is slightly bigger then then the opening on the face of the box. I stared it down for a little while trying to figure it out. I was puzzled :huh: I removed the clear widow on the tape deck door and it was still bigger then the opening. I'm sure somebody on here knows how to get the face off the box.

I'm not giving up on this box.... I'm determined that this box will indeed play with batteries only someday :super:
I believe if you open door the front panel will come off as the eject lever is attached on deck in box :hmmm: :-D

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Once you have taken the window off with the two little screws.

The next front bit of the deck door slides upwards on clips.

So open the deck door, push the outer bigger peice on the deck door upwards and off, remove the knobs off the front then you can take the back off.

Status
Not open for further replies.