GE Blockbuster - won't play/broken mech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macdude443

Member (SA)
May 21, 2009
Johnstown, PA
Hey all..

I have this GE blockbuster and the cassette deck is giving me a headache. There is a spring involved in the play function that has broken through a black plastic fitting under the play head and now it will not fully engage. It shuts off a second after pressing play. I've tried glue, I've tried welding plastic pieces with a soldering iron. No dice. Works for a few plays and then SNAP! I'm sure there have been similar mechanisms used in other brands/models. Anyone else have this problem, or a fix?

Macdude443

Member (SA)
May 21, 2009
Johnstown, PA
And oddly enough, I remember briefly owning an SCR-8 with the same problem... correct me if I'm wrong, but that was a 3 piece I believe.

Macdude443

Member (SA)
May 21, 2009
Johnstown, PA
JB Weld, eh? That's a good idea. Still curious to hear if there is any other method. I'll contact that member in the meantime. Thanks!

bashngu

Member (SA)
May 10, 2009
SCR-8's/Blockbusters used to be one of my favorites until I came across this design flaw. I guess tho they werent expecting 20+ years when they built them.

This is for anyone who wants to try it. Bill, I'm VERY glad to hear that its still holding up for you.

As far as the repair goes It depends on the current damage/cracking to the plastic. I basically fill the entire area inside where the spring goes with WELD as well as coating the outside and forming a shroud around the entire piece. Then I use a dremel to grind the areas down for spring fitment and any grinding needed for mounting. I have done several this way. Some have been successful and some have not. If the original plastic has a missing chunk or is too far cracked then it wont work. Its a bad design to begin with. There is alot of pressure on that small piece of plastic and as the plastic becomes less pliable through the years, it cracks. To put it another way, "Its a pain in the ass" lol.

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida
yeap :w00t: :w00t: i have one with the same problem but have never got the chance to work on it ,, i might end up using my springpull drive i did on another box which worked untill a donor deck was found :yes: :monchito:

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
bashngu said:
SCR-8's/Blockbusters used to be one of my favorites until I came across this design flaw. I guess tho they werent expecting 20+ years when they built them.

This is for anyone who wants to try it. Bill, I'm VERY glad to hear that its still holding up for you.

As far as the repair goes It depends on the current damage/cracking to the plastic. I basically fill the entire area inside where the spring goes with WELD as well as coating the outside and forming a shroud around the entire piece. Then I use a dremel to grind the areas down for spring fitment and any grinding needed for mounting. I have done several this way. Some have been successful and some have not. If the original plastic has a missing chunk or is too far cracked then it wont work. Its a bad design to begin with. There is alot of pressure on that small piece of plastic and as the plastic becomes less pliable through the years, it cracks. To put it another way, "Its a pain in the ass" lol.
Good to hear from you Brian :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

bashngu

Member (SA)
May 10, 2009
baddboybill said:
bashngu said:

Good to hear from you Brian :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.